5w-30 vs 10w-30 in OPE. Any real difference?

Good luck starting a BS 5600w gen set at subzero F temps with 5-30w in it. Only 0-30w full synth. will allow it to spin over fast enough to start.
With 5-30w the recoil lifts the genset off the ground and not enough ''spin'' to fire it up.
The BS chart is flawed for cold weather oil weights. They don't sell a 0w bottom number oil also. I run at least 10-40w in summer engines.
Biggest issue is not so much oil weight but regular changing of it and clean air filters on mowers.

Good luck starting a BS 5600w gen set at subzero F temps with 5-30w in it. Only 0-30w full synth. will allow it to spin over fast enough to start.
With 5-30w the recoil lifts the genset off the ground and not enough ''spin'' to fire it up.
The BS chart is flawed for cold weather oil weights. They don't sell a 0w bottom number oil also. I run at least 10-40w in summer engines.
Biggest issue is not so much oil weight but regular changing of it and clean air filters on mowers.
I've started one with Rotella 10w30. Pulled over slightly slower but still started 2nd pull. 🤷‍♂️

As far as 5w30 vs. 10w30, I haven't really noticed much difference except on older engines that are worn, or used at full load for long periods of time like a pressure washer in the hot summer months. 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic and conventional will all burn off quicker than a HDEO. Some could argue there is a slight fuel savings using PCMO, but I'd rather not have to add oil every time I use the machine. I have older machines that will consume a bit of oil if using 5w30/10w30, but won't use a measurable amount of 5w40/15w40 during the season. I doubt there is a difference in wear.

Back