5w-30 vs 10w-30 in OPE. Any real difference?

If you got a real bargain on oil for your mowers (currently using straight 30 grade) and the choices were 5w-30 and 10w-30, is there any particular reason to choose one over the other?

Small engine owner's manuals generally suggest that 5w-30 might burn off quicker, and require more frequent checks.

I use 10w-30 HDEO (Rotella) in small engines all of the time with excellent results.

Small engine owner's manuals suggest that 5w-30 might burn off quicker, and require more monitoring.
This. Not sure how relevant it is with today's oils, but the prevailing thought was that a 5w-30 will shear a bit quicker than 10w-30 thus leading to a higher propensity for running low.

Thicker is better.
Unless you are trying to manually start a snow-blower in minus F temperatures. Then fresh fuel and a 5 W or even better a 0 W is what you want for that first number.

In hot summer weather you want that first number to be a 10 W or even a 15 W.

The thickest oil I've used in a Craftsman lawn tractor is Amsoil 0w40. Otherwise I've used 5w30 with no issues as well.

I wouldn't consider using anything other than SAE30 in all my summertime ODPE. I have tried 10w-30 and 10w-40 in different engines and always got smoke on every cold startup.

If you got a real bargain on oil for your mowers (currently using straight 30 grade) and the choices were 5w-30 and 10w-30, is there any particular reason to choose one over the other?
What mower are we talking about? Riding Mower that has a Starter or a push mower that you pull the cord to start?

The 5w-30 *might* rely on a higher quality base oil with added reliance on viscosity index improvers. Emphasis on the word 'might." Personally I prefer to lower the spread between the cold and hot viscosities for OPE. Most of my warm weather lawn toys are getting RT6 15w-40 these days. I like 10w-30 M1 High Mileage in the Honda powered machines. Only the snowblower sees 5w-30. The snowblower and generator stay in the attached garage, so nothing in my fleet is ever started with an oil temperature below 32F.

As long as its 30 weight, it doesnt really matter that much because OPE usually just has a splash oiling system. If you have something like a lawn tractor that has a full pressure oiling system (if its got an oil filter basically), it might be a bit more critical but small engines arent made with all that tight of tolorances, so its not all that critical.

My Onan and Kawasaki powered equipment both have a note in the manual that the use of 10w-30 will result in higher oil consumption than SAE 30.

Nothing but Super Tech 5W30 FS in my ol deere D170, though I use mobil 1 in vehicles. Never uses a drop unless you accidentally leave the oil cap unscrewed and you dont actually notice until after you're done mowing after 2 hours and you notice oil droplets all over the engine base and frame 🤦‍♂️. Ask me how I know....

Luckily it didnt loose a lot during that mow. Been praying that the filter was able to catch all the dust and dirt that most likely got inside of the engine before too much damage was done..😏

I have to say though, after having this mower for several seasons. Super Tech (skeptical at first) has proven to me it can stand up to the test. Impressed with their oils.

Last edited:
It’s been posted before, but here’s Briggs & Stratton’s recommendation.
8EEB8BB3-BEAB-409D-93C9-71B5AAC4A779.jpg

i change the oil in a buddies lawnmower, its ten years old and he doesn't care what i put in it !
its a 3.5 h.p briggs classic the last two years i have used motomaster full syn 5w20 .
he uses it about 35 to 40 minutes a week so about 20 hours per year last two changes didn't go down enough on the dip stick to tell .
So i tend to believe these things will run dam near forever on just about any oil if changed regularly.

Well, the 10w-30 was sold out so I ordered 5w-30. It’s a moot point now I guess.
The good news is that it’s a six gallon box so even if it burns a little I’ll have plenty to top it off.

Back