5W-30 Shell Motor Oils Comparison

Thanks for this chart. This is probably one of the more handy things I’ve seen here.

It also explains why PUP and PP start to burn off in my engines around the 3,000 mile mark.
I wonder if I wasn't seeing the same thing with my PUP. Doesn't seem to be a popular oil around here, and in my experience, my engine didn't seem to like it too much. Is it the lower flash point and lower viscosity?

Time for someone to give Pennzoil a call on the Full Synthetic ( F.S. ) for the correct technical data sheets . ;)
One of the mods here posted a while ago that they knew Pennzoil was aware of it but obviously they're not concerned enough to fix it.

I wonder if I wasn't seeing the same thing with my PUP. Doesn't seem to be a popular oil around here, and in my experience, my engine didn't seem to like it too much. Is it the lower flash point and lower viscosity?

Ultra failed to impress when I tried it in our KIA as well. Given that it costs more and is hard to find I never tried it again, in fact that which I had was a smokin' deal Walmart clearance jug.

Ultra failed to impress when I tried it in our KIA as well. Given that it costs more and is hard to find I never tried it again, in fact that which I had was a smokin' deal Walmart clearance jug.
Same, I always have to top off when using PUP. With PP oil consumption is slightly less. However, I don’t have any oil consumption issues with other brands.

This is why I stopped using it. I used PP for YEARS in all of my vehicles. They reformulated at some point and my UOAs started coming back with viscosity and flash point below spec. Never saw the appeal of PUP. Always seemed to be inferior to PP but way more expensive and harder to find. Only time I used it was a few years ago when Penzoil was giving it out to BITOG members for free trials and a complementary UOA.

Why doesn't SOPUS at least divulge Noack and ht/hs? Also for QSUD it's tough to believe they're not using a good amount of pour point and vii's at that price point.
I think some of it may have to do with Shell not using a set formula and they may use different base oils at different times depending on what's cheaper or what they have a surplus of, which is why their safety datasheets say "interchangeable low viscosity base oil." At one point shell was allegedly blending excess GTL into PYB

Back