5W-30 or 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have another crazy question. My trucks manual says I should use a 5W-30 weight oil. But if none is available using 10W-30 is ok. Will using the heavier oil make much of a difference? And if so, what is the difference?

In the warmer weather you could use either one and be just fine. Keep in mind a conventional 5w30 will thin out a bit quicker than 10w30 though, but this isn't much of an issue in 3k intervals. With synthetics, 5w30 doesn't thin out (not with real synthetics that is, group 3 stuff still thins out)

In the cold winter though, you're better off with 5w30, as it will be thinner on startup and will flow faster.

Thank you, I was wondering if it really would matter here in NC because it doesnt really get that cold in the wintertime and my baby is garaged most of the time.

Need to mention the increased VI improvers to break-down in the wider spread 5-30. I prefer the 10-30's in the warmer climates in a dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason8691:
Thank you, I was wondering if it really would matter here in NC because it doesnt really get that cold in the wintertime and my baby is garaged most of the time.

If it doesn't get too cold where you are, and you keep it in the garage overnight too, then you're definitely better off with 10w30 over 5w30, if you're sticking with a conventional oil that is.

Actually I was looking at trying Neo's 10W30. It has good numbers and I know its a true synthetic. Any thoughts on that?

quote:

Actually I was looking at trying Neo's 10W30. It has good numbers and I know its a true synthetic. Any thoughts on that?

GO for it! We've heard a lot about Neo on here but nobody has tried it yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

GO for it! We've heard a lot about Neo on here but nobody has tried it yet.

Patman is saying that you could be the Guinea Pig.
smile.gif
. If you go with it get an oil analysis.
smile.gif

The Guinea Pig huh? Hey, all I know is it better be spectacular for $9.95 a quart. I also found these guys out there, Id never heard of them before:
http://www.sentinelsynthetic.com/
I would be afraid to see their prices.

My only concern is that whole API rating business. But I have read that the API wont certify anything (no matter how good it is) that doesnt have a petroleum product in it? Any of you guys heard that before?

I used Redline for a while in my Toyota 2.7L. I quit once I started getting clatter on startup, I switched to Amsoil and the noise stopped. I think Ill be the guinea pig and see what Neo is like for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back