5w-30 NOACK Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
asl_graph_900px.jpg

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

Synpower is 10.5

Amsoil marketing at it's finest!

Amsoil sends the sample out to an independent lab, has the test run and reports the numbers. That, my friend is a stroke of marketing genious!

Valvoline sends the sample out to a independent lab,has the test run and reports the numbers too,that my friend is a stroke of marketing bullpoop too.It is all bullpoop.I know that for a fact,that guy i talk about in the diner told me so.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Synpower is 10.5

Amsoil sends the sample out to an independent lab, has the test run and reports the numbers. That, my friend is a stroke of marketing genious!

Marketing genious would be to sell their oil to the public at WalMart.

smirk2.gif
It's really too bad that people don't try the product and give it a fair testing before casting it aside with doubt and excuses and unwarranted facts eh Pabs?

It really is superb product with superior performance that I can't match with any other brand, even if it is marketed through MLM channels who cares!

Guess it's easier to be a hater than try something new.
frown.gif

I would say don't take it so seriously. It is a piece of info. like all the other info. out there. Keep in mind that you will almost never see a test from an oil company where their product did not do the best. They would sit on those test results but publish the ones where their oil did the best. That is the way it works. Personally I don't doubt that the Amsoil oil did very well in volatility testing.

If there were 10 different tests from 10 different labs you might see slightly different results but I doubt the low volatility oils would suddenly show up as high volatility and that the high volatility oils would suddenly be low.

Remember that the goal of marketing is to create the distinction, whether real or illusory, that their product is distinct from other products and that it is better. In the real world, I don't believe there is that much difference but the marketer's job is to show that there is. A marketer's nightmare is for the consumer to either not recognize their product or to say to themselves "they are all pretty much the same".

Perhaps we need to have official independent BITOG tests. We could create a pool and send all the candidate oils to one lab all at once for testing. Then that can be the "official BITOG independent test".

I don't think of all the lubrication metrics to consider, I don't think the NOACK percentage is particularly important as long as it is 14% or less (SM requirement). Volatility appears to be only a potential issue when oil temps get very high, say 300F.

Any idea which Amsoil and which M1 oils were tested? The M1 held it's own well against the others. Then I knew that 31 years ago.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Any idea which Amsoil and which M1 oils were tested? The M1 held it's own well against the others. Then I knew that 31 years ago.
Tig-1 While I agree M1 is a darn fine oil, the speculators are here in this thread calling the tests marketing-poop and everything else so I guess we can't say M1 is good either, nor the others listed there for this chart looks erroneous and is full of magical marketing numbers.
wink.gif

Are these results based on actual tests? The graph shows PP having 11.13% NOACK but the current PP PDS for 5W-30 says 12.5%. So why is there a discrepancy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Are these results based on actual tests? The graph shows PP having 11.13% NOACK but the current PP PDS for 5W-30 says 12.5%. So why is there a discrepancy?

Yes. Actual tests run by an independent laboratory. The difference between 11.1% and 12.5% is WAY less than it seems...it's just not that much.

Synpower is 10.5

That is the current SynPower. The older formula had 13%.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Marketing genious would be to sell their oil to the public at WalMart.

WalMart has approached Amsoil more than once. Amsoil simply won't do business that way. They are very loyal, and very loyal to the dealers. Being forced to prostitute it's wares by a huge cutthroat organization would be a death knell and simply would not work. I laugh internally at people who think Walmart is the only model for sucessfully selling to the public.
LOL.gif
That's just too rich.

... I laugh internally at people who think Walmart is the only model for sucessfully selling to the public. ...

Pablo,

Leave the nice sheep alone!
grin2.gif

Synpower has most likely changed since 2008. That would be my guess as to why the volatility is a bit higher. .02

Amsoil couldn't compete at Walmart. I think they are too small.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

Synpower is 10.5

That is the current SynPower. The older formula had 13%.

EXACtly

If Walamrt sold Amsoil, 99% of dealers would be MIA...Their dealers should be pushing NOT to sell at China, opps, Wal-mart.

Why, Walmart 10000 to 1 would have lower prices the Amsoil.com or their dealer sites (with their ZO#'s). That is why I clear cookies etc, cache,etc before I buy anything on Amsoil.com

Originally Posted By: buster
Synpower has most likely changed since 2008. That would be my guess as to why the volatility is a bit higher. .02

Amsoil couldn't compete at Walmart. I think they are too small.

Perhaps Pablo can enlighten us, but they are a pretty big company that keeps growing. I forget what kind of volumes I read that they had done.

I would imagine they could keep up with Walmart no problem. Plus with the cost of Amsoil it would be a specialty product and not everyone would be buying it like your average joe-consumer dino user so how much volume would they need to produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back