5W-30 "No highway extended operation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever come across this recomendation in an owners manual? I swear I saw it in my 94 Toyota Corolla's manual, but after looking at it, I can't find it again
dunno.gif
I must have seen it in a manual that was posted on this board by someone! Anyone
confused.gif

I think in the infancy of 5W-30 oil car manufactures treated it as only an extreme "cold weather" oil for local driving only. I seem to remember the same "warnings" in my '75 & '77 VW Golf's manual and in my 1980 Ford truck manual. But then again I've been known to get a bit fuzzy in my doddering old age
pat.gif

Whimsey

the chiltons manual for my '82 ford crown vic contains the same statement. i've used in the winter time w/o any negative effect as far as i can tell.

ive seen the same thing in the manual of my dads 1980 VW Rabbit. it also has a graph that show which grades of oil could be used in certain temperature ranges.

Yes it was common to see warning about useing 5W30 or 10W30 for extended high speed driveing! You saw this right up through the early 1990's. Then as C.A.F.E. really gained ground all of the Major car companys starting with GM really started to push 10W30 then it was 5W30 and now Ford adn Honda are pushing the 5W20.

Synthetic 5W30's can hold up ok but 5W30 conventional oil should not even be allowed by law!!

I followed the owners manual and used 5W-30 dino in my Grand Am. When I traded it in with 180K, the engine was fine, good oil pressure and no engine noise. I am sure many others are having the same experience. How could anybody justify banning it?

quote:

Don't ya think you are stretching it just a bit.

No offense to John, but those comments are off the wall. A synthetic 5w-30 from Redline, Amsoil and even Mobil 1, will offer good protection for 99% of cars on the road today. The film strength of PAO lubes are much stronger then a Petroleom based oil. They are more geared towards economy/fuel requirements, but they still hold up. We've seen enough UOA's on this board now to realize that viscosity plays little role in wear.

Take the above UOA of 17k miles, or Bob's test or the Volvo Turbo using M1. All show that they can provide excellent wear. Running a 15w-50 oil thinking your getting maximum protection is just not true. Robbing HP and increasing heat are not good ways to get low wear numbers on tightly built engines.

In my manual it says you can only use the 5W-30 upto 15C outside. Any higher and it recommends 10W-30. It warns against using 5W-20 for highway driving. Its referring to dino oil however...

buster, Please re-read the last portion of my post.

quote:

Synthetic 5W30's can hold up ok but 5W30 conventional oil should not even be allowed by law!!

Your rebutle preety much states what I said in the latter part of my post!

If anyone cares to take their LS1, Volvo SR60, S2000 on a road trip of 1500-3000 miles at HWY speeds with Tech 2000 5W30 conventional and then come talk to me about shearing out of grade that is fine. I have not seen a OTC conventional 5W30 with 1500 miles or more on it that has not sheard back to a 20wt. I also have not seen a 5w30 conventional oil that can last to the recomended 7500 mile change interval with out substaintal makeup oil. Even the group II+ base stocks like Chevron, Connoco and Pennsoil use have showed sever shearing in the 5W30 oil but not in the 10W30's.

Conventional OTC 5W30 simply does not provide the best protection for your vechile period! If you are not doing UOA and you have not tried other weights what basis do you have to make a judgement?

Buster, In an erlier post you recommened that a poster add a quart of 15W50 M1 to his 5W30 to reduce lead wear in his bearings you also advocated a 40 wt oil in the same post. Now here you are saying that viscosity is almost irelavant in reguards to wear. What happened to consistency? You can not have it both ways!

Either viscosity is important or it is meaningless. But it can not be relavent in one post then irrelavant in the next post!

[ September 14, 2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

My '96 Audi manual states that SAE 5W-30 (regardless of being a synthetic oil or not) oil must not be used for prolonged high speed driving or at high ambient temperatures.

For example the ever-so-popular M1 5W-30, which is very popular with my fellow Audi owners, does not meet the necessary Audi requirements (HTHS is too low to meet the requiremnts for those engines). I wouldn't use it, but to each his own.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
My '96 Audi manual states that SAE 5W-30 (regardless of being a synthetic oil or not) oil must not be used for prolonged high speed driving or at high ambient temperatures.

For example the ever-so-popular M1 5W-30, which is very popular with my fellow Audi owners, does not meet the necessary Audi requirements (HTHS is too low to meet the requiremnts for those engines). I wouldn't use it, but to each his own.

My girlfriends Volvo (also a '96) says not to use 5w-30 for extended periods of high speed driving.

Manual actually states that Volvo recommends the use of 15w-40 when running hard or towing.

She's now in Florida, so her car sees Delvac 1300 all year round.

Told her she could pick between Long-Life, Delo,and Delvac...she choose Delvac because, quote , "The black bottle looked the prettiest".

I now call her "Ms. Delvac".
grin.gif

[ September 14, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
buster, Please re-read the last portion of my post.

quote:

Your rebutle preety much states what I said in the latter part of my post!

If anyone cares to take their LS1, Volvo SR60, S2000 on a road trip of 1500-3000 miles at HWY speeds with Tech 2000 5W30 conventional and then come talk to me about shearing out of grade that is fine. I have not seen a OTC conventional 5W30 with 1500 miles or more on it that has not sheard back to a 20wt. I also have not seen a 5w30 conventional oil that can last to the recomended 7500 mile change interval with out substaintal makeup oil. Even the group II+ base stocks like Chevron, Connoco and Pennsoil use have showed sever shearing in the 5W30 oil but not in the 10W30's.

Conventional 5W30 simply does not provide the best protection for your vechile period! If you are not doing UOA and you have not tried other weights what basis do you have to make a judgement?

Anyone who is into "extended highway operation," the heading of this thread, should seriously consider using monograde dino oil, such as Castrol HD-30. That thing is extremely shear stable.

Quote: "Anyone who is into "extended highway operation," the heading of this thread, should seriously consider using monograde dino oil, such as Castrol HD-30. That thing is extremely shear stable."

Not to be an @ss, but you've got to be kidding me...

Up thread a little Buster said that PAO synthetics have a higher film strength than conventional engine oils.
Can he explain that to me?
What the heck is film strength?
dunno.gif

Jelly, you don't like mono-grades or agree with Flimflam's post?
Can you tell me why? He may have a point.

quote:

Buster, In an erlier post you recommened that a poster add a quart of 15W50 M1 to his 5W30 to reduce lead wear in his bearings you also advocated a 40 wt oil in the same post. Now here you are saying that viscosity is almost irelavant in reguards to wear. What happened to consistency? You can not have it both ways!

I think in some cases it does. Look at Redline's 5w-20 or even Mobil's. Good amount of additives. What I meant to say is that I don't see to much evidence on the UOA's that it matters. Maybe it does more then I realize. I know LS1's like heavier oils so I guess I'm contradicting myself.
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back