5w-30 in 5w-20 2009 ford taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 taurus calls for 5w 20 but from what I've heard, this was to increase the cafe and fuel economy. Is it okay to use 5w 20 in my 2009 taurus? I believe it's a dura tec. Anyone else use 5w 30? Does 5w 30 protect the engine better even if the cap calls for 5w 20? What have your experiences been , in this specific vehicle or engine when using 5w 30? Any benefits? A quieter engine?

Is meijer synthetic oil any good? It's only 16.49 for 5 quarts. Is it a quality oil like mobil 1 or no?

Is meijer synthetic better than a premium conventional for the same price? It's on sale. I aksed about 5w-30 because the 5w-30 meijer brand is dexos approved, whereas the 5w-20 is not, so I figure their 5w.30 formulation is better. Is it better than supertech oil?

Also, is it better than the motorcraft synblend since it's a full synthetic for a lower price? I heard 5w-30 shears to a 5w-20 anyways, so wouldn't you end up with 5w-20 anyways in the end?

meijer high mileage oil is sketchy, i think because it doens't have teh API starburst on it! Maijer conventional and full synthetic have the starburst and is AF, GF-5(etc) certified, and the 5w-30 is dexos approved and i heard dexos standards were tough to meet

why doens't the high mileage meijer brand oil have the starburst?

Because meijer synthetic is not as good as mobil 1, i heard you can only do a 5000 OCI, safely, with it, and I can use a purolator pureone (i bought one for 4.71 on sale at k mart)

I heard puro had media failure, is it all/most of them or just a select few, or should i stick to the motorcraft? I use the fl400s for my 2009 tuarus manufactured before 1/19/09 (the one after uses the fl500s, i think which is more expensive). Does this mean my engine that was manufactured before 1/19 is worse than the fl500s using engine made after 1.19.09 since it uses a more expensive filter?

Also, the purolator 20195 which the brochure said my car used was REALLY TALL. Is a tall fiter good/or mean better filtration? the proportions were really odd, whereas the motorcraft seens fairly standard sized and is "perfectly" proportioned, sort of like an oil filter golden ratio, whereas the purolator seems out of whack and is too tall

Being Dexos certified isn't necessarily an indication of how good an oil is, it's sometimes whether or not the manufacturer wants to pay for the certification.

There isn't a lot of information out there on Meijer oils, and I do not have any experience with them myself, but just go by what Ford recommends for your vehicle. If it calls for a 5W-20, use a 5W-20 that is API SM or SN certified. In your situation, I would use Motorcraft 5W-20 and take the guesswork out of it. I don't think the Taurus really requires anything exotic like some of their high performance vehicles do.

By the way, even the Motorcraft filters have shown some tears, so I'd avoid Purolator until they fix their issues. Their Synthetic line does not seem to be affected by the tearing, so you can safely use those.

Good luck!

Either is Fine. 5w20 might give slightly better fuel mileage especially in winter. OCI will vary with engine and operating conditions. I have seen a Taurus with a good UOA after 10,000 miles on Quaker State Conventional. No Dexos certification for 5w20 plus the manufacturer would have to pay a royalty on each bottle. I would not assume 5W30 was automatically superior.

Crown Vic Taxis run 700,000 miles on MC 5w20 with the first 100,000 miles spent as Police Pursuit Veicles so I wouldnt assume 5w20 was worse for the vehicle. It might even reduce cold start wear slightly.

Meijers was Warren/Unilube of Dunn NC last I heard. Supertech was mostly Warren Distribution of Omaha (WPP, WNE, WSE) which is a totally different company. ST is also made by XOM, Citgo and SOPUS depending on location.

SuperTech Synthetic (WSE) available here goes 10,000 miles in some vehicles.

I have no knowledge on the Filter Issue. All my recent Fords used FL820S or FL500S.

Thanks. Really? Motorcraft filters have shown tears? Can I see pictures of tearing or media failure of ,otorcrafts? And why is the puro filter so tall?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run Motorcraft 5W-30 with a Wix filter.

+1, give it a whirl and see if you like it better. I went from 5w20 to 5w30 MC syn-blend in my 05 Matrix and preferred the latter. The Fast Lane place actually made the switch after a few runs of the 5w20. Probably since the oil cap states 5w30. I've had the same tech for every change.

I have 2 of basically the same car in my household. mom has an 09 Taurus, I have an 09 Sable.
The engine is the 3.5l "Cyclone" engine, previously called the Duratec 35. it is a Thoroughly Modern engine, Designed for 5w20. not back specc'd to it like previous Ford engines.
The 3.7l V6 in the Lincolns, and the non-ecoboost police interceptors is the same engine, just with a bigger cylinder bore/pistons.
This is engine is the underpinnings of the eco-boost 3.5/3.7l engines. just with a different crank, different heads, etc.
Here's a VOA of meijer 5w20 Full Syn that i am Currently running in my Sable:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...%29#Post3405878

You will have a hard time finding any highMileage oil with the Starburst, as the extra stuff they have in them takes them out of the More Modern spec, and they aren't "resource Conserving" which is what the starburst signifies. it does carry the api Donut for an sl/sj rating IIRC..

The Filter differences:
no, your engine isn't inferior using the old filter. they made a change @ the Factory jan 2009. (Speculation on my part, but the engine plant is here in town, when they switched filters, was also around when they stopped making the old Vulcan3.0l engine, that also used the fl-400s.instead of having 2 different filter plates for the 2 engine lines, they just used the one part for both, then when the older line was discontinued, switched over to the "newer" design, and use it going forward. to me this assumption will be confirmed if the new ecoboost 2.7l they are just starting to make for the next gen f150, also specs the fl-500s)

why are (some of) the aftermarket fl400s "equivalents" bigger than the actual fl400s? simple, the fl400s used to be that big. at some point ford downsized it.

stick with the 5w20 with this engine.

Saw that you posted this same question over @ TCCA, and as sam replied to you there:
"Do NOT use 5w-30 in your 09. It's different in the older vehicles. While it probably wouldn't hurt it is best to leave 5w-20 in. REMEMBER viscosity is only part of the equation in protection. 5w-30 will not protect better. The motor was designed to run 5w-20 oil.

A reason I would recommend NOT using 5w-30 is because of VCT. Your engine has Independent Variable Cam Timing. This uses tiny capillaries in something called a cam phaser to vary the timing of your intake cam. Putting a higher viscosity oil in could throw this off. It may not correctly phase. While it won't likely cause damage it could cause other weird symptoms and loss in fuel economy or greater emissions.

They put the viscosity on the oil cap for a reason. While in the vulcan and old, non vvt/vct duratec 30 motor this is different since they were originally designed for 5w-30, new motors are almost always designed for 5w-20."

Last edited:
Thanks. @earlyre, how has the meijer synergic worked out for your sable? I ess I'll stick to 20 and buy the 5w 30 for my camry which uses 5w 30. Have you used anything else in the sable and how is the meijer synthetic compares to other oils like a premium synergic like mobil 1 or a premium conventional like pennzoil yellow bottle or castrol gtx? Speaking if castrol, meijer is having a castrol sale where syntec is only 22.99 for 5 quarts. The oreillys synthetic looks very similar to the meijer oil in terms of packaging, is it the same or no?

On a side note, can I use 5w 20 in my 2003 2az fe 4 cyl toyota camry which calls for 5w30? I'm asking because I want to just buy one kind of oil for both vehicles if that's possible, but if not, guess I'll have to get the 30 for the camry and the 20 for the taurus and have two separate stashes for oil rather than one "
Universal" oil for both cars.

Mom's Taurus always goes to the Ford Dealer for service.
She bought it CPO in 2012, with 35k mi or so. original owner bought , and had all service done @ the same dealership she bought it from, and it still goes there for all service.

I just bought the Sable in Jan. from the Local Honda/Toyota Dealer with ~70k mi.
Still on my first OCI in the car.
(Changed out in March, currently showing 28% or so in the OLM)
used the Meijer Syn b/c it was the only 5w20 i had on hand @ the house. bought a couple years prev. on an oil/filter combo deal for previous Car.

I have PP 5w20, PYB 5w20, and MC 5w20 on hand for the next few changes. Never used M1

The toyota chart someone posted here a while back, if i'm reading it right (version i have saved is kinda small) for any '03 Camry says you can use 5w30, 5w20, or 0w20.

I get the wanting one "universal oil" thing.. as you can see in my sig, i also do my buddies '03 pontiac Vibe, (95%+ Toyota Corolla/Matrix - 1zzfe Engine) calls for 5w30. the mix currently in it is a mixture of 5w20/5w30 or a "heavy 5w20" as blackstone labs put it when i sent it in for a voa
If i had kept my neon, i would have been switching it to 5w30 once i used up the 5w20. every year of neon previous to mine was spec'd for either 10w30, or 5w30.

I Currently have PP, Castrol GTX, and PYB in 5w30 on hand for the Vibe.

I think this guys autistic or got some major problems.

Please take my advice:

Walmart has Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil (would be PERFECT) for you, for $17.49.

Go to the Ford dealer and buy a Motorcraft oil filter. Should be around $5

Stop asking a gazillion questions. It's just oil, and it's just a car. It'll run on whatever you throw at it. The oil you choose will likely not be what kills this car in the end.

Capiche?

Originally Posted By: Ram01
5w20 will shear out of grade stay with 5w30
Which will not shear out of grade? Please....

Store brand synthetics are fine.
Whether you use a 5w20 or 5w30 wont make much of a diffence.
You can even use 0w20 or 0w30.

Stick with full synthetic. Stick with a sensible time or mileage based change interval. Check and top off oil regularly.
Use any name brand oil filter. Keep driving.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think this guys autistic or got some major problems.

Please take my advice:

Walmart has Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil (would be PERFECT) for you, for $17.49.

Go to the Ford dealer and buy a Motorcraft oil filter. Should be around $5

Stop asking a gazillion questions. It's just oil, and it's just a car. It'll run on whatever you throw at it. The oil you choose will likely not be what kills this car in the end.

Capiche?

I'll agree to a good Portion of that. (not going to make comments on someone's Mental state)

but you can grab the MC filter @ Wally world too.
recently bought 6 qts of MC synblend 5w20(5qt jug &1qt bottle) plus an fl-820s for my uncle's Lincoln Zephyr, plus a bottle of Soda, and a pack of Gum for $28.xx @ my Local Wallyworld
should be similar cost with an fl-400s instead. (need to get 6 qts, car as a 5.5qt fill.)

if your car is built after 1-19-09, and you need the fl500s, they've been spotty @ walmart, but AZ has 'em for a little over $5. (my local prices, yours may vary)

just about any of the Major brands of oil will do just fine, as long as you're in the right grade.

If you're going by the OLM, it's calibrated for the MC SynBlend/MC Filter. it won't know if you put anything better or worse in there, and will still tell you to change at the same intervals.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
On a side note, can I use 5w 20 in my 2003 2az fe 4 cyl toyota camry which calls for 5w30? I'm asking because I want to just buy one kind of oil for both vehicles if that's possible, but if not, guess I'll have to get the 30 for the camry and the 20 for the taurus and have two separate stashes for oil rather than one "
Universal" oil for both cars.

If those were my cars, 5W-20 would be no where near them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back