5w-30 in 5w-20 2009 ford taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't rocket science.
Use what the oil cap tells you.
Done.

There is no reason to go thicker UNLESS you operate the engine in a manner that heats the oil past its limitations.
So unless your on a track or beating the engine so bad that its frying the oil don't overthink this.
Use what the manufacturer has told you to use.
Simple.

The difference between 5w-30 and 5w-20 is small.

I bet that in other parts of the world Ford allows you to select 5w-30.

Now I wouldn't use a 10w-xx oil or a 0w-xx either, but you will have NO issues short or long term with EITHER 5w-30 or 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

But if one of them is causing noise, it'll probably be the 5W-20.

thanks. any thoguhts on oreilly's synthetic (iut's more expensive, but it's packaging looks the same as meijer's)

is it better since it costs more?

also, is a driveworks filter any good? it looks better than the STP filters from Autozone, the microgard filters from oreilly's, and many other cheap filters like the fram. from the outside, it looks almost like a wix/toyota oem, so why would it be so cheap? or does it only look better than the fram on the outside because of the casing and is actually a fram imitation, in reality?

i heard microgards were just frams in a black casing

anybody have any thoughts on o'reilly's brand synthetic oil?
I'm going to buy this meier oil on sale, maybe i'll just buy the 5w20 and use it in the camry as well

if driveworks is any good, i'll use it, if not, i'll use motorcraft/purolator, though the media tears have sort of scared me away from purolator even though the gold purolators or p1s have always been so good

Not sure about driveworks,microguard used to be fram, but they switched to wix a while back.( though they could switch again at any time.)

Can you use 5W-30 instead of 5W-20?

Yes.

Will it magically make your engine last longer?

No.

Will it hurt anything?

No.

Will you notice the difference between the two?

If you do, it's probably placebo effect.

Is 0w a lot better for cold winter operation? And does mixing in a quart of marvel mystery oil clean the engine and cause it to perform better?

Synthetic does make engines last longer as can be seen by valvoline a engine oil guarantee. It's a lot higher of a guarantee for syn than conventional

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You know, I actually agree with you on this one, Merk.

However, that would probably only be the case when using 5w-20 in a car that specs for 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Is 0w a lot better for cold winter operation? And does mixing in a quart of marvel mystery oil clean the engine and cause it to perform better?

Synthetic does make engines last longer as can be seen by valvoline a engine oil guarantee. It's a lot higher of a guarantee for syn than conventional

Yes, 0w oils (such as 0w-20 and 0w-30) are better for cold winters.

I like Marvel Mystery Oil, but one should only use it to clean an engine. It is not meant to be used to lower viscosity and be run that way every OCI. Run it for the last 1k miles of an OCI and change it. That is, if you have a dirty engine. Otherwise, there is no need. If your engine is fine, just use oil.

sounds good, but it's okay to use marvel mystery oil every oil change or every fill up, right? it can't hurt? can it?

also, how do i get rid of dirty exhaust/excessive exhaust? I dont' smoke on start up, but I smell the exhaust and it's pretty severe on the camry compared to the taurus with half the miles, should i use a cataylic / exhaust clearner/some special product so that i have better/cleaner emissions?

sounds good, but it's okay to use marvel mystery oil every oil change or every fill up, right? it can't hurt? can it?

also, how do i get rid of dirty exhaust/excessive exhaust? I dont' smoke on start up, but I smell the exhaust and it's pretty severe on the camry compared to the taurus with half the miles, should i use a cataylic / exhaust clearner/some special product so that i have better/cleaner emissions?

I'm betting you have a check engine light on if these are actual symptoms of your vehicle.
No additive on earth will fix an o2 sensor,which is why your exhaust smells so strongly.
Change the sensor that has failed.

When will everyone realize that the questions are never going to end?
Trolling.gif

"""""""~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~
####~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~
####~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~
####~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~

Like a two year that has discovered the word "why".

135 posts and all questions, many repeats and many nonsensical, not one a contribution to the thread or forum.

Synthetic does make engines last longer as can be seen by valvoline a engine oil guarantee.

Warranty is not evidence of an engine lasting longer. That just means Valvoline would rather you buy Synpower and use it over OEM intervals than VWB over OEM intervals.

How many engines have you seen actually wear out when maintained as directed by a reasonable OCI in a reasonable application?

What is protection?

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Who cares as long as 5w30 protecting more than 5w20 that's all that matters the protection not cafe

You're worry over what oil to use to keep a 5 year old car on the road in Detroit winters, HaHaHaHaHa.

And a Ford at that.

You need to be experimenting as to what to use for replacement floor boards.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
5w20 will shear out of grade stay with 5w30

Horse feathers , I run 0W20 in my Duratec equipped Ford all the time for 12Km OCI's .

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You are an idiot .

Your bashing of XW20 oils in multiple threads is ongoing and you have no basis for it at all .

I'm sick of hearing members posting [censored] on here just for the sake of posting with no real technical knowledge as to why heavier oils will make an engine run quiet and noisy if a recommended grade is used .

Go throw a can of STP in your car , I think it's making some noise .

Just... look at the red.
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

I like Marvel Mystery Oil, but one should only use it to clean an engine. It is not meant to be used to lower viscosity and be run that way every OCI. Run it for the last 1k miles of an OCI and change it. That is, if you have a dirty engine. Otherwise, there is no need. If your engine is fine, just use oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back