5w-30 in 2014 Camry 2AR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of Pennzoil ultra 5w-30 syn motor oil. I know 0w-20 is recommended for this engine. Using thicker oil will reduce MPG also. Will it be OK to use this? I'm going to do my first oil change at 5K and have the dealer do it at 10K. I know syn oil can go for longer but I live in the city a good mix of highway and stop and go traffic. Should I do the first oil change sooner? I also picked up a 12 pack of cartridges from Toyota for $51.

Last edited:
I know some will disagree but I think your plan is a good one.
PU 5w30 is on the thin side of 30 weights (9.9 @ 100*C) and should work fine.
After the 5 and 10K change I'd stretch it out based on a UOA or two...

5k is the minimum for PU. You could change earlier if you wanted like 2,000 and then still get the dealer change at 10k. I don't see any issues using the 5w30 since you already own it and after all its PU awesomeness.

5W-30 will be just fine in that engine. I own two vehicles that recommend 5W-20 (Hondas), but I use 5W-30 in both. I perceive no difference in engine response or measured fuel economy. There is a subjective improvement in NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) when using the heavier grade. Conventional 5W-30 shears some anyway. It's truly a non-issue in my opinion.

It will ruin your engine!

Lucky for you, we live in the same city and I would be willing to take that PU off your hands at a considerable discount...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Many people who are running Chevy pickup trucks with the 2014 5.3L v8 that specs 0w-20 or 5w-20 are running 5w-30 in severe service like towing, without any problems. Use 5w-30 without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Many people who are running Chevy pickup trucks with the 2014 5.3L v8 that specs 0w-20 or 5w-20 are running 5w-30 in severe service like towing, without any problems. Use 5w-30 without hesitation.

Oooh no GM wouldn't like that they stand by there 0w20 for towing and severe service driving

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer

Oooh no GM wouldn't like that they stand by there 0w20 for towing and severe service driving

Another myth that running a heavier than specified oil grade is some how beneficial in extreme service on any way in a late model vehicle.
Does Ford recommend anything heavier than 5W-20 in the Mustang GT even for track use? The answer a one big NO!!

For the sake of potential warranty issues I would just do an even swap of your current stash for 0w20 Pennzoil Ultra. In the end it's your car and your free to do what you want but this is what I would do.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
5W-30 will be just fine in that engine. I own two vehicles that recommend 5W-20 (Hondas), but I use 5W-30 in both. I perceive no difference in engine response or measured fuel economy. There is a subjective improvement in NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) when using the heavier grade. Conventional 5W-30 shears some anyway. It's truly a non-issue in my opinion.

I see completely with Hokifyd.

Look in my signature. I'm currently running PU 5w30 in my Accord which is spec'ed for a 0w20.

You will be fine and notice nothing.

We also prefer 5W30 in my daughter's '06 Mazda 3i/2.0L(purchaced in '09 w/50K miles), which requires 5W20 and lists no other oil spec. We notice no difference in performance or fuel economy(both have been measured) and the engine is noticably smoother & quieter on the 5W30. This is more important to us!
smile.gif

I've done many 0-60 runs with a digital stop watch and there is no significant difference in times. I get the same times(within 1 or 2/10ths of a sec, often quicker times with the 5W30) and all tanks of fuel are measured for MPG. NO DIFF and often better with the 5W30 compared with our baseline stats of the 5W20.

I had used 5W20 in both summer/winter when she first bought the car. Even in the winter time, there seems to be NO difference in the lower winter MPG compared to the 5W20 data which had been used when she first bought this car...lots of data here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Another myth that running a heavier than specified oil grade is some how beneficial in extreme service on any way in a late model vehicle.
Does Ford recommend anything heavier than 5W-20 in the Mustang GT even for track use? The answer a one big NO!!

Are you mental? Off your meds again? The Mustang GT with track package REQUIRES 5w50!

And at any rate, track driving is considered abuse and will void the warranty, it is therefore not part of the general recommendations in most owner's manuals.

Thanks for the input. I've got around 30qt of Pennzoil Ultra and 25qt of Quaker State syn that I'll use up in this car. I kinda want to take off the valve cover and take a pic of my new engine.

I have 1 vehicle that uses 0w20. I wouldn't put anything but 0w20 in it even if I'm hauling heavy stuff.

I'm not sure, but I would think they design the clearances in the engine for a 20 weight oil. Why would you want to force a thicker oil between the bearings and the crank/cam or whatever? Can't you find your moms/daughters/brothers etc. vehicles to use the 5w30 in?

If this is for the 2014 Camry in your signature, check your owner's manual in the oil recommendation section. My 2011 Camry showed only 0W-20 on the graphic, but if you read the text, it allowed (rather vaguely) a higher grade of oil if you intend to tow or use the car in severe conditions. It didn't define those severe conditions and it didn't specify which higher grades were appropriate.

Here's an example (from a 2010 owner's maunal:

owner-s-manual-for-2010-toyota-camry-page1-3808330.jpg

It specifically says that the use of an oil higher than a "20" grade is okaypreferred (using the words "better suited") if the vehicle is operated at higher speeds or while under higher loads. In other words, it is absolutely safe to use. Again, there should be ZERO concern here using that 5W-30. Toyota even tells you that it's okay to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back