5w-30 HM or 0w-40 for higher rpm oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infiniti VK45DE Engine, 04 FX45

From my research, I understand that this engine is known to have an oil blow by consumption issue. The car has 160,000 on it and up to this point oil consumption has never really been a noticeable issue but, It did have an oil leak for sometime that has now been fixed so who really knows. The car has 2000 miles since the fix and oil change and I have noticed oil consumption has dropped to almost zero except for periods long periods of interstate driving 65+. Because of the leak I have grow accustomed to checking the oil level but, in a short time this will become my sister's car and I will no longer see it on a regular basis. I am afraid that once my sister starts driving it after a few checks of not needing to add oil she will stop all together.

In your opinion, was is my best option to try to slow the oil consumption on higher rpm trips? A high mileage synthetic oil at the spec'd 5w-30 or stepping up in weight to 0w-40 or 5w-40? (FYI the car has used a synthetic for most of it's life)

Last edited:
No oil weight, brand or type will solve a mechanical problem internally or externally.

Either fix the problem, or buy more oil and add as needed for leaks or consumption. YMMV.

Be sure the PCV system is functioning properly, can contribute to oil usage especially at higher RPM...

No mention of area/climate but a 0W-40 can be used about anywhere...

Beat it into her head the oil needs to be checked at least 1000 mile intervals and add as necessary... I've never seen any engine with a 5-6 quart capacity that was harmed by it being a quart or two low...

Mobil 1 10w30 or 10w40 HM is worth a consideration. Both are A3/B3 oils like M1 0w40 and have a higher HTHS and are slightly thicker. They'll be good for your higher RPM oil usage.

Back when my Jeep had a rear main seal leak, M1 stopped it in about a months worth of use.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
No oil weight, brand or type will solve a mechanical problem internally or externally.

Either fix the problem, or buy more oil and add as needed for leaks or consumption. YMMV.

Douchy response much? SLOWING and STOPPING are two different things as is fixing. Read next time before being an [censored].

To the OP, I know the Nissan VQ engines were plagued with the same issue, I didn't know their VK line was the same. I know some VQ guys that replaced their PCV valve and it helped the consumption issue. They're cheap enough to buy so it's definitely worth a shot.

Last edited:
Try a 10w30 high mileage oil like Maxlife.

And yea replace/clean the PCV Valve.

I'd go with a 40wt in your fave brand. 40wts are very popular on the Z33 forums.

Had to edit. I'd read the above post and was thinking you had a VQ powered Nissan. Any similarities engine wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back