5w-30 Euro formula motor oil

I'm looking for a motor oil to start using in my 2021 Mercedes C300. I'm looking at M1 ESP and Penzoil Platinum euro formula. They both meet Mercedes requirements. I'd be getting 5w-30. M1 is about twice the price? Aren't they equivalent quality oils? Thanks

If they meet the spec, they should both be comparable. If I were you I'd lean towards the less expensive Penzoil. I run Motorcraft synthetic blend in my cars.
I guess you would have to mention your oil change intervals to compare better

Which particular MB oil spec is your engine calling for? Is it MB 229.5 or something different?
MB 229.52 which would be the 5w-30. I could also run 5w-40 under 229.51 or 0w-20 under 229.71 but want to run the 5w-30.

1638928717359.jpg

I'd use Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, most inexpensive and readily available.

If they meet the spec, they should both be comparable. If I were you I'd lean towards the less expensive Penzoil. I run Motorcraft synthetic blend in my cars.
I guess you would have to mention your oil change intervals to compare better
This car won't see alot of mileage. So far, in 3 months we're almost at 1K miles.

Then get the approval you want, look for the least expensive oil that has the actual approval. Ignore the grade as the approval dictates an allowable HT/HS and grade is irrelevant.
Based on the approvals, these cars will run on anything. 229.71 is 0W20, 229.61 is mid-saps euro spec similar to API Resource conserving Xw30, and along with 229.51/229.52 means that any Xw30 or Xw40 will work

I've used the Castrol C3 forever in my E320 OM642 diesel until it went wild priced. Next change will be Castrol LL (Walmart sale the guys mentioned). The engine scopes clean inside at 150k miles.

I'm looking for a motor oil to start using in my 2021 Mercedes C300. I'm looking at M1 ESP and Penzoil Platinum euro formula. They both meet Mercedes requirements. I'd be getting 5w-30. M1 is about twice the price? Aren't they equivalent quality oils? Thanks
I wait till the ESP is on sale at Napa for $5 and change and buy 3-4 cases, everything here including OPE is on ESP 5w30 or M1 0w40 (all are Euro cars and one Subaru.
My experience with Penzoil Euro oils have been less than stellar, I ran the LX 0w30 in the VW 2.0T and it started drinking oil and had a poor UOA.
The engine never used any measurable oil between 5K OCI on Castrol or M1 0w40 with the LX the thing was going through a qt every 600 miles, went back to M1 0w40 and the oil consumption returned to normal. No explanation, it is baffling as to why this happened, that was over 3 years ago and still no measurable oil consumption today. Compression remains between 197 and 200 psi with around 5 psi leak down.

That is not to say it is common or will happen in another engine but it happened to this one and it is mine so I know it was real.
Personally I stay with Mobil 1 or if I didnt have any I would and have used Castrol 0w40.

Back