5W-30 dino at 0F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How well will 5W-30 pump at startup when it's this cold? Is there a significant difference in startup protection between dino & syn at this temp?

No. The difference occurs more at/near the gell point which is below -30. Plus you cant generalise this question. Is the syn a grp iii or a 85% Pao or Ester? Is is racing or fuel economy oil? You really should compare two specific oil brands and grades to answer this question. But I wouldnt worry at all about syn V. dino at 0F. And I might give the nod to dino for a superior basestock inherent lubricity at cold temps.

Don't have the proof to back me up, but have heard M1 15-50 flows better at 0F than 5-30 dino.

Originally Posted By: zulu
How well will 5W-30 pump at startup when it's this cold? Is there a significant difference in startup protection between dino & syn at this temp?

This is an excellent question, IMO.

Where I live 0*F is about the coldest I'll ever see (unless we're talking wind chill factor which we know doesn't count). Despite much reading on this site and elsewhere I still didn't know if synthetic outperformed dino at this temperature.

PS: I was amazed when I discovered that GC 0W30 is thicker than dino 5w20 at the temps I would encounter.

I've run both Conventional and Syn in many vehicles and at zero degrees (and below) I can not tell any difference between 5w-30 and now that I have 0w-30 in the Corolla, 0w-30 and 5w-30 and those temps.

A couple of weeks ago it was well below zero (around 14 below) and no problems with conventional oils. They REALLY have improved them since API SL came out in my opinion. Even though older oils made a little more start-up noise once it warmed up no problems. Still got hundreds of thousands of miles using yesterdays oils so with today's oils all is great!

Take care, Bill

Judged by the completely unscientific "shake the bottle" test, there isn't much difference.

It would be a bit more before the difference should be obvious. The pour point for a lot of conventional oils is in the -25 degree range, versus -40 or lower for a lot of synthetics.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Don't have the proof to back me up, but have heard M1 15-50 flows better at 0F than 5-30 dino.

Not even close. More Urban Spew.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

But Mobil 1 was injected into the thread!

Mission accomplished.
thumbsup2.gif

Probably not. 5w30 dino or syn will work fine at 0F

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

But Mobil 1 was injected into the thread!

Mission accomplished.
thumbsup2.gif

LOL!

Look at typical viscosity vs. ambient temperature charts. Most manufacturers accept 15w- oils down to about 0F, and then the lighter weight oils can go further from there... with 5w- being good for the whole temperature spectrum for the most part (other than wildly cold places in northern Canada for example).

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 15W-50

SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 131.2
cSt @ 100º C 18.1
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 154
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 4.50
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 235
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.87

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 5W-30

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 64.8
cSt @ 100º C 11.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 169
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.09
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 5949 -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.80

Yeah....I'd say 15w50 and 5w30 are about the same.......
33.gif

Last edited:

I checked M1s web site and M1 15-50 has a pour point of -39C as the Mobil 5000 dino has a pour point of -33C. Seems to back up my point.

Originally Posted By: PT1

Yeah....I'd say 15w50 and 5w30 are about the same.......
33.gif

Honestly, you can't infer much from those specs - viscosity at 0F has not been provided there. And he also said "5w-30 dino". You posted 5w-30 synthetic.

For the record, I'm not an M1 lover, but people tend to jump to conclusions too much around here lately without any hard facts to back it up. That's not directed at you, but at the board in general.

Yo don't have the proof because it doesn't exist.

See, it's non-sense statements like this that are ruining this website. If you know the basics of the SAE oil grading system, and know how to use a viscosity calculator, you'll understand that the above statement is NOTHING but Mobil 1 koolaid talk.

By definition alone, via SAE oil grading standards and testing done on cold cranking simulators and mini rotary viscometers, a 15w-50 could never beat a 5w-30! PERIOD. END OF STORY. If it could, it would be labeled 5w-50.

At 0 degrees, Mobil 1 15w-50 is 6,985 cst. Your average conventional 5w-30 is 2,060 cst.

What's next tig, a decades old article hyping synthetic oil and Mobil 1? Oh wait, that was last weeks manure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
See, it's non-sense statements like this that are ruining this website. If you know the basics of the SAE oil grading system, and know how to use a viscosity calculator, you'll understand that the above statement is NOTHING but Mobil 1 koolaid talk.

To be fair, SAE does not grade at 0F but at some much lower temp than that, don't they? And viscosity is not linear, so using a viscosity calculator is not really an exact science either.

That's why, for example, it's possible for GC 0w-30 to be thicker than a typical 5w-30 oil at cold startup on a cold winter day here.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Look at typical viscosity vs. ambient temperature charts. Most manufacturers accept 15w- oils down to about 0F, and then the lighter weight oils can go further from there... with 5w- being good for the whole temperature spectrum for the most part (other than wildly cold places in northern Canada for example).

By SAE testing and oil grading standards, 15w is tested and graded at 5 degrees fahrenheit or -15 celsius for cold cranking and -20c or -4f for cold pumping. Somewhere between those temperatures is going to be the logically safest cold temperature to use a 15w-xx oil.

5w-xx OTOH is safe to around -22F. ie, a 5w-30 (even conventional) will have the same cold weather performance at -22F that Mobil 1 15w-50 will have at 0 degrees F as demonstrated in objective SAE industry standard testing.

By definition alone, via SAE oil grading standards and testing done on cold cranking simulators and mini rotary viscometers, a 15w-50 could never beat a 5w-30! PERIOD. END OF STORY. If it could, it would be labeled 5w-50.

At 0 degrees, Mobil 1 15w-50 is 6,985 cst. Your average conventional 5w-30 is 2,060 cst.

What's next tig, a decades old article hyping synthetic oil and Mobil 1? Oh wait, that was last weeks manure.

Wow! You are pretty tough on me. At least try to be a gentleman with your opinions. Is this post Ho HO Ho let down?
At any rate since M1 15-50 Has a lower pour point than Mobils 5-30 dino I'm stickin to my theory.

As for the manure statement. I didn't realize that article was dated the way it was and apoligized for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back