5W-30 Castrol Syntec blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running this oil (5w-30)at 5k oil changes in my 2000 Tacoma (3.4L) and 93 Accord. I am using Fram TG filters. Is the interval suitable for the oil and filter? Both vehicles call for the 7500 oil change, but if I use a synthetic blend and change every 5k with a better filter should'nt this give good protection with a safety margin?. I have not done any oil analysis. Does anyone have experience with Castrol Syntec blend, or oil analysis ratings?

quote:

Originally posted by T-Stick:
I have been running this oil (5w-30)at 5k oil changes in my 2000 Tacoma (3.4L) and 93 Accord. I am using Fram TG filters. Is the interval suitable for the oil and filter? Both vehicles call for the 7500 oil change, but if I use a synthetic blend and change every 5k with a better filter should'nt this give good protection with a safety margin?. I have not done any oil analysis. Does anyone have experience with Castrol Syntec blend, or oil analysis ratings?

Syntec blend?
Fram tough guard oil filter?

Oh, you have so much to learn...

(Sorry for being an @ss, but I had to say it
grin.gif
!)

[ September 11, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Just look at T-Stick sitting in front of his monitor. He's so young...so impressionable...the picture of innocence. He has a wonderful childlike fascination with the oil world around him.
grin.gif

He's just a babe swathed in oil rag clothes.
tongue.gif

T-Stick,

First...
welcome.gif

The guys are messing with you, but you will find that Fram filters are not well thought of around here due to materiel quality and other issues. You will also find that blends are not popular either as they don't have much synthetic in them and you pay more than for regular dino oils. You have not done anything that will harm your engine, but you are not getting the best protection for the buck. I recommend you do searches on Fram under Oil Filters and on Castrol Syntec Blend under Used Oil Analysis and under Car and Truck gas engine oil. That will get you off to a good start. Then just start looking over the threads...you'll catch on quickly.
cheers.gif

Ok, let's get serious...

Do mind paying the higher price for synthetic?
Do you want to run extended change intervals?
Do you want something available locally?

Here's one.

Feel free to search the Used Oil Analysis forum.

In this case, the oil thinned out pretty quickly. Running it 5K in your Tacoma might be a stretch. Read more about sampling, and consider that. You should also consider other oils, and for sure another filter.

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest using mobil-1 synthetic oil, then 7500 mile changes would be no problem most likely

replace the fram with something else, STP, ac-delco, super tech etc. etc.

Mr. T-Stick,

I was just poking fun but you asked a good question.

I too am a relatively new member but we all have to start somewhere. I've been pondering your questions most of my driving life and right now I'm in a race of my own - will my hair fall out before it turns grey?!

These opinions are all my own and I'm sticking with them. Others may have good reason to disagree but I have confidence in my views because they haven't let me down.

Syn Blends - Just walk right by these on the aisle. If there's 1% syn it's technically a blend. You'll never know and I think it's a marketing gimmick.

Syn - This is the good stuff. If you change your oil every 5k like me, it really doesn't make a lot of sense (economics aside) to lose sleep over the brand. Some brands/mixes are better than others as you'll learn but it's all high zoot. I'll call this one - "Pick 'em." My answer changes if you're interested in extended change intervals and this DB will help you make up your mind.

Dead Dinosaurs - No complaints and it works fine but there are better oils. For most people these will continue to work well with regular oil changes. I never had a car give me problems using dino but I think that syns are just better at what they do.

Filters - A quick search will give you more info than you could imagine. Fram is not very highly thought of. I personally run Mobil1 filters and have no complaints although I wouldn't complain with a K&N or Amsoil filter either. These filters are expensive but there are other brands at half the price that are well regarded.

Frequency - Others will disagree but I change it every 5k for a couple of reasons. First, it's easy to keep track of on the odometer. Second, I like tinkering with my vehicles and this is the excuse I need. It's theraputic too. Third, there is no evidence that changing it at 5k is a bad thing. While a good dino oil could go this far, syns make me sleep better and there is no sludge. It's more expensive to change syn this often but it's my money and this is how I choose to spend it.

OK,
I will confess. I am an ex-Amsoil dealer and came here looking for some stats on other oils, outside of Amsoil literature. I simply do not believe that it is necessary any longer to go to a multi-level marketing company to get a good oil, as there are now good synthetics available, and many dino oils are quite good. Further it is no longer that convenient for me to obtain the products where I live with my schedule.

It looks as though the syntec blend may not be any better than the regular GTX, and the GTX may be a stretch for 5k.

It also appears that Fram is built with suspect quality, even though it may perform quite well. I will definately make a filter change.

My thoughts were initially that if I stay with a 5k oil change a full syn might not be necessary, or provide no appreciable advantage. Some here seem to think otherwise. I have been little leery of Amsoil's high mileage claims because of the possible build up of small particulates if a bypass filter is not used. I have seen some premature engine failures on Amsoil that may have been due to this, and others that were definately due to using the synthetic before an engine flush. While the oil may not breakdown the build up of small particles could be harmful.

Is the flush also recommended when starting with M1 on a used vehicle?

Do you fellows reccomend anything other than M1 for a 5k oil change?

Just pour the Mobil1 in both vehicles and have fun for 5,000 miles.

For an economy filter, the regular Purolator is a pretty good buy...

Run to Wally World and buy the 5 qt jug of M1. Pick up your non-Fram filter and with the money you saved, pick up some cold suds.

M1 will easily go 5k and beyond.

There are quite a few oils that members here will recommend but the fact is that M1 is well known quality, very easy to get and good value if you can get those 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart.

As far as filters I think you can't go wrong with Japanese Denso made Toyota filter 90915-2004, great filter and cheaper than M1. There is a nice comparison of this filter and M1 but I can't give you the link because of site restrictions, do a Gooogle search for Toyota 90915-20004 filter and you will quickly find it. If you can't find it at your local dealer then try Lexus dealership or one of the online stores.

It looks as though the syntec blend may not be any better than the regular GTX, and the GTX may be a stretch for 5k.

Just FYI, the Audi dealer in Colorado Springs uses Castrol GTX and they specify a 10,000 mile interval for "both normal and severe driving schedules".

On our 99 ES300 (V6 -- supposedly prone to sludge), I use Mobil 1 10W30 and Purolator or Toyota OEM filters and change every 5,000 miles. Just getting ready to surpass 70,000 trouble-free miles.

On my 01 A4 (V6), I started with Mobil 1 5W30, but next change will be 0W40 with a 10,000 mile interval and Audi OEM filters. When I hit 30,000 miles (next month), I will submit a sample to Blackstone Labs and will report back the results.

Well,
welcome.gif
aboard.

I just sold a 4 Runner with a 3.4. It have 101k when sold. I used Mobil 1 every 8k and it did fine. My last change was with Schaeffer's #703. The truck really seemed to like it. I believe it was equal to the Mobil 1 and I planned on taking it to 8K.

I can not work this out, you guys so NO to blends but just recently I read here that you guys in US wished you could get your hands on Castrol Magnatec. Is that not a blend???? Downunder in New Zealand we can buy it anywhere. So is Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 good oil or not as I am considering using it in a new V6.....rugbykiwi.

A few points to consider:
At $11+ for a 5 quart jug the blend is not a rip off in my mind, when I know I am buying a blend.

If the GTX receives such good ratings from 3-5k why would not the blend be a little better for just a few bucks more? There are hardly any tests on the other forum of the blend - only of GTX and Syntec, so that is why I was posing this question here.

The 5k for me is convenient and easy to remember, and I thought if it tests OK, why spend more for a full synthetic?

Perhaps I will take a test of my own to see.

Is there a link here to order a test packet, or do you send a sample in your own (sterile) bottle?

I am not yet convinced that the GIII base that is the "synthetic" used in most of the blends, is that much better than the GII+ base used in some of the better conventionals. I don't think that a 10% mix is going to give much of a benefit to castrol gtx. Have you thought about Castrol High Mileage? At least it is actually a true synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back