5W-30 BMW LL-01, three oils tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Castrol A3/B4 5w-30 is SL, as seen on the bottle pictured in the thread, since you don't get to have 5w-30 A3/B4 here in SN; the same applies to their 0w-30 A3/B4. As for its VI, I'm not worried about the value as long as it's somewhere reasonable for the grade. The bottle is from Wakefield Canada, and the datasheet is from their site. Given Castrol's historical record on data sheets, one may or may not believe it, but at least the OEM approvals are listed, and the numbers are plausible, and we're not just peppered with a bunch of minimum and maximum testing values.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
And LL01 API SM or SN, doesn't happen to exist?

Castrol Edge 0W-40 that I buy for my BMW has Longlife-01 and API SN.

FWIW, prior to losing Longlife-01 Mobil 1 0W-40 was SN, SM and SL.

And LL01 API SM or SN, doesn't happen to exist?

Not in 5w-30 or 0w-30, at least if they want to be above ILSAC phosphorus limits. Remember that 5w-30 and 0w-30 (and 10w-30) have to follow ILSAC phosphorus guidelines if they want API certification, regardless of whether they're going to be ILSAC certified or not. Hence, if they have higher phosphorus levels, they'll be SL or older.

Thanks for the reminder, kschachn. Any 5w30 SM SN?

Just answering your question Pontual, as it was written
wink.gif

Scott, thank you for your time, money, and effort. I'm looking forward to your next round of LL-01 samples.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Thanks for the VOAs. Both the TPT and Edge being in different class to the older version regarding ACEA specifications. TBN of BMW FS is at 8- the bare minimum for the a3/b3 spec. and by specification unsuitable in direct injected diesels.
Edge and TPT all the way.

ACEA A3B3-10 is suitable for DI diesels.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Thanks for the VOAs. Both the TPT and Edge being in different class to the older version regarding ACEA specifications. TBN of BMW FS is at 8- the bare minimum for the a3/b3 spec. and by specification unsuitable in direct injected diesels.

Not for those with DPF/SCR system.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

No such caveat was mentioned
11.gif
DI diesels were around well before DPFs.

No such caveat was mentioned
11.gif
DI diesels were around well before DPFs.

Of course they were.
However, which one without DPF under BMW badge is sold in the U.S.?
Also, DPF is present in cars since 2004 so you are talking about VW Golf and Jetta with 1.9 TDI engines from 90's and PD engines after that. CR engines have DPF.
We are talking about Euro oils, so not sure on the U.S. market except those older VW's, old MB's, and E320 CDI, which ones are without DPF?

Of course they were.
Also, DPF is present in cars since 2004 so you are talking about VW Golf and Jetta with 1.9 TDI engines from 90's and PD engines after that. CR engines have DPF.
We are talking about Euro oils, so not sure on the U.S. market except those older VW's, old MB's, and E320 CDI, which ones are without DPF?

DFPs first appeared here in 2007. I am talking about the rotary 1.9L and unit injector 1.9L/2.0L/5.0L TDIs, and the MB CR diesels that had no DPF. There are many passenger diesels in the US with no DPF (pre-2007).

Of course they were.

DFPs first appeared here in 2007. I am talking about the rotary 1.9L and unit injector 1.9L/2.0L/5.0L TDIs, and the MB CR diesels that had no DPF. There are many passenger diesels in the US with no DPF (pre-2007).

1.9l (PD), yes. 2.0l was not that much present and very soon was replaced with CR due to various issues. 2.0 unit injector (PD) was one of the most problematic engines VW came out with.
320cdi? How many is on the road? All this push with new clean diesel came with DPF/SCR combination.
However, since we are talking about BMW oil, none of BMW's are without DPF/SCR system.
My point is: what 1.9 PD engine in 2001 Jetta has to do with this topic? You are implied that if you have DI engines you might also use A3/B3 B4 oils. Yeah, but again, if you drive 2001 Jetta or 2006 E320cdi. But, it is important to emphasize that no BMW diesel can use A3/B3 B4 oil, or any diesel with DPF/SCR system.

Last edited:
I thought A3/B4 required a TBN of at least 10.0

Also, the middle oil, BMW HPFS, really really looks like a WPP bottle
crazy2.gif

Can you please a picture of the bottom of the bottle?
35.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

crazy2.gif

35.gif

Scott here, the OP. What is WPP?

Scott

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

crazy2.gif

35.gif

Here you go. --Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back