5W-30 BMW LL-01, three oils tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks:

Included are VOAs for three different BMW LL-01 certified and approved oils. 1) The original "High Performance Full Synthetic" version sold by dealers (Castrol supposedly), 2) The new "Twin Power Turbo" version sold by dealers (Pennzoil supposedly), 3) Castrol Edge Euro (gold bottle). Both BMW branded oils were made in the USA, the Castrol was made in Austria.

I found the following things interesting:

1) There are significant differences between the BMW HPFS and Castrol Edge. It's been my understanding that many on BITOG believe these two oils are the same brew. There are not.
2) The BMW HPFS oil is the "thickest". The BMW TPT and Castrol Edge have almost identical viscosities.
3) All three have very similar Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, and TBN levels.
4) Both BMW branded oils have Moly, the older HPFS version having about three times as much as the new TPT version! Castrol Edge has no Moly.
5) Castrol is the only one of the three to have Titanium.
6) Flashpoints for all three are high, but the new TPT version is a whopping 480 degrees!
7) The color and appearance of the oils was virtually identical. The TPT might have been slightly darker than the other two. Maybe.
8) I found it interesting that the Castrol Euro was made in Austria and imported to Wakefield Canada (Castrol is Wakefield).

FWIW, I had 40C and 100C tests performed. Read the comments for that info.

I like hanging with you guys at night, so thanks. It's my pleasure to share this info with y'all!

Cheers,

Scott

The mugshot lineup:

BMW branded HPFS (Castrol supposedly)

BMW branded TPT (Pennzoil supposedly)

Castrol Edge Euro

MSDS data sheet for Castrol, only one I could find.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Makes me long for a S54, S62, S65 or S85 M again.

Thanks for your VOAs!

You would run an LL01 instead of TWS 10W-60?

OP, thanks for the VOAs!

Thank you, Scott! Looks like there is no reason to stop using the TPT 5W-30 in my wife's Mini Cooper.

Also, just FYI for anyone curious. Viscosity indeces are 188, 179, and 183 for the BMW HPFS, BMW TPT, and Castrol EDGE, respectively. Very impressive figures.

Although not a BMW owner, i found the write-up to be insightful and appreciate the effort.

Thanks OP.

Thank you, Scott, for all your contributions!

Castrol Euro 5w-30 seems to have the highest concentration of titanium that I've seen in their entire lineup.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Where you guys buying the Castrol Euro gold bottle?
Amazon sells it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Thanks so much for sharing!!
I was hoping one of them would be a low calcium formulation...no such luck for me.

Apparently BMW does not believe in calcium contributing to LSPI.
smile.gif

Y'all:

I appreciate all your kind words. The pleasure is mine!

Anyway, IMO I think all these oils are pretty stout and that each one of them would provide excellent engine protection in any BMW requiring LL-01. The one item that really surprises me is how high their flashpoints are. I have never seen an oil with a 480 flashpoint (the TPT). We all know the NOACK for these oils must be 10% or less in order to meet specification. I bet the flashpoint for the TPT is 6% to 7% like some of the early versions of the Pennzoil GTL offerings. But, that's speculation on my part.

I also know that we should not necessarily be concerned with base oils, but the MSDS indicates the Castrol 5W-30 Euro is a group 3. Although it's further speculation on my part, I suspect the BMW branded oils are group 3 as well.

At any rate, I will be sending in another set of LL-01 oil samples next week. They will be Castrol Edge 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, and possibly BMW branded TPT 0W-40 if I can find it in time.

Cheers,

Scott

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Also, just FYI for anyone curious. Viscosity indeces are 188, 179, and 183 for the BMW HPFS, BMW TPT, and Castrol EDGE, respectively. Very impressive figures.

Thanks for doing this.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Thanks so much for sharing!!
I was hoping one of them would be a low calcium formulation...no such luck for me.

Apparently BMW does not believe in calcium contributing to LSPI.
smile.gif

32.gif

In reading the various research papers we've shared from SAE, Chevron Ornite etc, there seems to be more to LSPI than CaSa levels alone. Although it is becoming more clear that this substance plays a large part, total chemistry may be more important.

Originally Posted By: wemay

In reading the various research papers we've shared from SAE, Chevron Ornite etc, there seems to be more to LSPI than CaSa levels alone. Although it is becoming more clear that this substance plays a large part, total chemistry may be more important.

Quite right...a summary on the Infineum website suggested that ZDDP is a good LSPI inhibitor at levels above that allowed by GF5 while sodium is an aggressive LSPI enhancer in the presence of calcium. But, they also stressed that TESTING is what is really needed to evaluate any formulation...and shared the good news that GF6 will include LSPI testing using a 2.0l Ecoboost.
In the absence of such test results, I am just trying to keep all my LSPI bases covered...I'm sure plenty of DIT owners are doing just fine with ~2500ppm Ca as was seen in the samples above.

Thanks for the VOAs. Both the TPT and Edge being in different class to the older version regarding ACEA specifications. TBN of BMW FS is at 8- the bare minimum for the a3/b3 spec. and by specification unsuitable in direct injected diesels.
Edge and TPT all the way.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Y'all:

I appreciate all your kind words. The pleasure is mine!

Anyway, IMO I think all these oils are pretty stout and that each one of them would provide excellent engine protection in any BMW requiring LL-01. The one item that really surprises me is how high their flashpoints are. I have never seen an oil with a 480 flashpoint (the TPT). We all know the NOACK for these oils must be 10% or less in order to meet specification. I bet the flashpoint for the TPT is 6% to 7% like some of the early versions of the Pennzoil GTL offerings. But, that's speculation on my part.

I also know that we should not necessarily be concerned with base oils, but the MSDS indicates the Castrol 5W-30 Euro is a group 3. Although it's further speculation on my part, I suspect the BMW branded oils are group 3 as well.

At any rate, I will be sending in another set of LL-01 oil samples next week. They will be Castrol Edge 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, and possibly BMW branded TPT 0W-40 if I can find it in time.

Cheers,

Scott

Mobil1 5W30 ESP is 489 per their pds.
Thanx for doing this.
I found one MSDS of BMW LL-04 TPT, and pour point is -33c! That s way too high IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back