5w-20...which of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of my recent dealer visits for a piston slap issue I've decided that until my warranty expires (another 12,000 miles) I'm using nothing but 5w-20. Here's a short list of ones I'm considering in order of preference. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. (The vehicle is a 2001 F150 4.6 ltr. v-8)

1. Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20
2. Catrol GTX 5w-20
3. Honda 5w-20
4. Motorcraft 5w-20

The only reason why the Honda oil is third and not higher up in the list is because I shudder to think what the dealer will say if I hand them a Honda motor oil. Also, anyone seen a VOA (or even UOA) on the Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20? Supposedly it's a group III oil. Castrol GTX seems to be a consistent performer.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Mikep

If you're worried about warranty then, Motorcraft. If you're going to keep you're vehicle past the waranty period, Mobil1 5W30 or 10W30 TODAY. Go to www.f150online.com do a search on piston slap, and you'll see changing viscosities is a major improvement.

John

Mike,
If it was my Truck, I'd run either the Castrol or Pennzoil (I know not on your list but i've had real good luck with it) and would prefer the 5w-30 weight... It's better than 5w-20 (esp if you tow) and easier to find.

The 5w-20 is showing to be pretty good. But I really think the 5w-30 is better.... Just IMO...

Take care, bill
grin.gif

mikep, Since you have the dealer do the oil changes any way why don't you just have them install the Motorcraft 5W-20 for the next 12,000 mi. The UOA of the Motorcraft 5W-20 all seem to be good. I seriously doubt you'll do harm to your motor. If the Motorcraft 5W-20 is bad for the motor then mine will be trash also. That way Ford can't argue with you if you do need engine work. Plus it'll most likely be less expensive than having the dealer put in your "brought in" oil. Just a thought.

Whimsey

Thanks for all the replies. Let me see if I can address all of the reponses.

I DO plan on keeping the vehicle waaay past the warranty period (at least another 4-5 years) but during this warranty period I am sticking with 5w-20. As for specifically using the Motorcraft oil for warranty purposes as long ias it's 5w-20 and meets the SL/GF3 and Ford spec it'll be fine. Having been (and still) a proponent of syn over dino I'll go back to that when the time comes. I too would prefer a Xw-30 but in light of my experience and dealer reaction to the Amsoil 0w-30 it'll be 20w for a while.

Motorcraft 5w-20.....the UAO from Whimsey looked very good and I don't doubt it's a decent oil. But, if I'm not mistaken, the Motorcraft oil contains no moly and if I'm going to use a 20w I would like to get one with a fair dose of Moly in the mix.

Post warranty period I'll most likely go to a 10w-30 during the summer and 0w-30 during the winter.

So concensus on a 20w thus far are Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Castrol. I saw a post that mentioned the Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 was a group III oil but does anyone know about the moly content?

Thx again.

Mikep

all of the non-synthetic 5W-20s are synthetic blends. Dino 5W-20 will thin out WAY too quickly. That's why Ford wants you to use synth blend 5W-20 to meet their warranty.

The truth is, just use synthetic 5W-30.

quote:

So concensus on a 20w thus far are Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Castrol. I saw a post that mentioned the Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 was a group III oil but does anyone know about the moly content?

I think the Castrol and Pennzoil are your only bets with moly in them. Mobile Drive Clean I don't think it has any...

The Mobil-1 SS does, But not in 5w-20 yet..

Take care, bill

OK, thx. I'm going to see if Wally World has any GTX 5-20 or even Honda 5-20

Mikep

If you want the moly, then castrol GTX is your choice. If not, the motorcraft oil has shown pretty well on the boards, though not in any real extended applications.

Wally world in my town has been carrying the motorcraft 5w20, but not anything else.

Metroplex, Just curious, why are you on such a campaign angainst ANY 5W-20 oil. It seems that the 5W-20 oils that meet the Ford and or Honda stantards are part Group III and not straight Group I or II dino oils. Is there a problem with that? And the only reason any oil company is making a 5W-20 oil is to meet both of those Ford and Honda tougher standards. So that's why there doesn't seem to be that 'DINO' 5W-20 oil you keep referring to. The UOA of the Motorcraft and Honda 5W-20 oils seems to be decent. And so if the oils do help in the mpg is there something wrong with that. I'm not saying that 5W-20 is for every engine, far from it! But many newer engines that recommend the 5W-20 and require it for warranty issues may and most likely will benefit from a mpg stand point and are not harmed by using this newer oil. But of course I'm an OLD man who remembers driving a 1956 DeSoto and a 1958 Oldsmobile. Maybe I should insist on using only straight weight oil with a SA rating, just to be safe that the oil/car companies are not pushing one of those "gas saving only" oils on me
grin.gif

Whimsey

I recommend Mobil 1 0w-20. The specs are out and it looks very competitive. And it is the only fully synthetic 20wt. out there other then Redline/RP. Refer to other thread.
smile.gif

In terms of moly the Castrol GTX and Honda 5w-20 seem very similar, but I can understand not wanting to take Honda oil to your dealer, that would be interesting hugh. Thus I think Castrol GTX is the best oil in the list you provided. As soon as Mobil1's 20 weight oil is available I say switch to that immediately, it will also have moly in it and will be synthetic, best of both worlds. I'd recommend Redline, Synergyn, or Amsoil for 20 weights but they aren't cheap. I think the Mobil1 will be the best overall oil with a reasonable cost.

Isn't the Redline 5w-20 one of their racing oils? I checked their website and it said they are not recommended for street driven vehicles.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
Isn't the Redline 5w-20 one of their racing oils? I checked their website and it said they are not recommended for street driven vehicles.

Mikep

Nope, Redline has a brand new 5w20 which isn't a racing oil, it just came out recently (much like their new 5w40)

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
In light of my recent dealer visits for a piston slap issue I've decided that until my warranty expires (another 12,000 miles) I'm using nothing but 5w-20. Here's a short list of ones I'm considering in order of preference. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. (The vehicle is a 2001 F150 4.6 ltr. v-8)

1. Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20
2. Catrol GTX 5w-20
3. Honda 5w-20
4. Motorcraft 5w-20

The only reason why the Honda oil is third and not higher up in the list is because I shudder to think what the dealer will say if I hand them a Honda motor oil. Also, anyone seen a VOA (or even UOA) on the Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20? Supposedly it's a group III oil. Castrol GTX seems to be a consistent performer.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Mikep

You can't go wrong with the Motorcraft oil. It's made by Conoco and is a blend of Group II and Group III. Once your warranty is up, I'd go with the Mobil 1 0w20 (which is due out in March).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back