5W-20 pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 90 sunbird 2.0L engine.
I just put a new engine in and it has about 115,000km on it. The manual states to use 5W-30 all year round. Now would I kill my engine faster If I were to use Pennzoil 5W-20. I would realy like to know how this oil runs in my engine. Since most have sayed that it does contain easters?

If I read your post correctly, you have an old car with a new engine. Does your new engine have a warranty? If so, follow recommendations and document it. Otherwise, for the winter, you definitely want something thin. Unless you are running it hard or mostly longer trips, the 5W-20 may be OK. Be ready to switch to something heavier at the first sign of engine noise when warm. You may also want to do a UOA.

The engine runs great, it's doesn't seem to burn any oil, and I drive the engine gently 95% of the time. Currently I'm using GC 0W-30 and there are no apperent issues with that. I was just wondering if the Penz 5W-20 would have been ok since I can get it for a realy cheap price.

Rick, I suspect the Pennzoil 5W20 is a combination of Group II+ and Group III base oils ... not Group V esters.

Their "High Mileage Vehicle" oils have some form of ester in them ... probably 10-15% but this is not available in 5W20 to my knowledge ... maybe in 3-4 years?
dunno.gif

With your car being more than a dozen years old and having over 100,000 miles on it, I would not use an ultra-thin in it. You may get consumption or leaking problems if you don't have them already. You motor was designed to be run on 5W30 and then traditionally, you move up a grade as consumption increases with age & use.

Unless you are worried about below zero (F) operation, my choice for you would be the Pennzoil 5W30 High Mileage Vehicle oil ... for about $2 per quart at the discounters.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:
The engine runs great, it's doesn't seem to burn any oil, and I drive the engine gently 95% of the time. Currently I'm using GC 0W-30 and there are no apperent issues with that. I was just wondering if the Penz 5W-20 would have been ok since I can get it for a realy cheap price.

Around my area Pennzoil 5w20 is close to $4, while GC 0w30 can be found for just over $6 when on sale at CT.

I have a friend that can get me it for 1.77 a L. So would I be ok if I ran this all year round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back