5w-20 or 5w30 2008 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions if i may.

1. Will 5w-30 thin to 5w-20 under normal driving?

2. whats the difference between 5w and 0w? say 5w-20 vs 0w-20

What do Hyundai owners use in their accent?

Big Man,

#1) Most of the time a 5W30 will shear to a 5W20 due to fuel dilution although doesn't seem to be an issue unless the OCI are gone way beyond the norm(way too long).

#2) The differences between a 5 & 0 is not only the start up lubrication that the engine will benefit from using a 0 but, all 0 oils are synthetic,(0W20, 0W30, 0W40) where as 5W oils can be either.

#3) Don't know what Hyundai owners use in their engines. I sure it varies.

Originally Posted By: bigmanoncampus
I have a few questions if i may.

1. Will 5w-30 thin to 5w-20 under normal driving?

2. whats the difference between 5w and 0w? say 5w-20 vs 0w-20

What do Hyundai owners use in their accent?

Check the "Temperature vs Viscosity" chart that is either printed in your manual or is available at the dealership in their technical manual for your engine. Mine suggests 5w20 on the cap, and in the supplied manual, but upon looking in the technical manual it says 5w30 up to a 20w50 depending on climate conditions I will be encountering. I use a 5w30 year round and have excellent results.
thumbsup2.gif

That being said I would suggest a 5w30/10w30 for your engine.

I'm scared to use 5w-20 people say the engine is louder? I don't know what to do!!!!!

I know one thing. No AMSOIL for me... NO THANK YOU!!!! No Mobil one either..no no no!n!

Come on, big man. Man up!

Nothing at all wrong with Amsoil, (what have you "heard"?) but if you don't want to use it, fine. But XW-20 will NOT hurt your engine. That's just some kind of [censored] myth.

Yeah, what Pablo said!
I use to live in Southington and Torrington, CT. Look in your owners manual for proper visc.. And then just run either Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 or 5w-30 from Wallyworld. You won't have any cranking issues with either oil during those nice New England winters...:)

Last edited:
AMSOIL says I can go 10-15 or even 20 thousand miles... that's crazy. My owners manual says 7500.. That's what ill stick with. That [censored] you shovel is marketing to attract the sheep. Who don't know any better. Mobile is the same way the vehicle engineers know better than you and the fluid mechanics at AMSOIL and mobile 1

AMSOIL says I can go 10-15 or even 20 thousand miles... that's crazy. My owners manual says 7500.. That's what ill stick with. That [censored] you shovel is marketing to attract the sheep. Who don't know any better. Mobile is the same way the vehicle engineers know better than you and the fluid mechanics at AMSOIL and mobile 1

Per my UOA's I'd say 15k is about it, I've done it.
LOL.gif

Just one of the sheep.
happy2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
TaterandNoodles,

Plane foolishness. While under warranty go by the owners manual!!

rossn2,

please, I'm a Yale graduate!

Last edited:
Stick around and learn. May take awhile.

I guess you can call me a sheep - baaaaaaaah! No I don't know any better after 30+ years.

I'm not telling you to go to extended drains, that's your choice - but I do wonder about all those people running 15-20K mile intervals. Their engines must be [censored]!! In fact last run on the Volvo I went 18 months, 20K miles. Engine remains spotless at 135,000+ miles.

PS Amsoil XL is perfect for 7500 OCI's.

15-20k that is just plane [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]!

I mean really!

TaterandNoodles,

rossn2,

If that is your opinion thats fine with me. I guess I'm a fool
grin2.gif

If you like 30wts use any conventional you like and keep the changes relatively short 3-4k miles and sleep easy. If you like synthetics you can go the owners manual 7500. Pennzoil platinum was still in great shape at 6k.

A guy, cant even ask a question on this forum with out some one spouting off about AMSOIL or Mobile 1. Always the dealer trying to sell something!!! [censored] [censored]. All I did was ask a question and BAM!!!!! AMSOIL this and AMSOIL that!! blah blah blah

Last edited:
Use either viscosity with confidence. I haven't run and UOA valvoline but every oil I did use was a 20wt and all had great wear. I've posted a bunch of UOA's for this engine.

TaterandNoodles,

rossn2,

I wouldn't be advertising that you go to Yale and then calling out Amsoil on their mileage claims when you have no first hand knowledge or actual experience with the product. This just makes you look foolish and gives Yale a bad name through association.

And just because you went to Yale, doesn't mean you know everything or of some superior elite so get off your horse and think outside of the box your university tries to keep you in!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back