5W-20 or 5W-30 for my Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oil weight is the best to provide LONG engine life for my
2006 Hyundai Elranta...5W-20 or 5W-30?

Currently, I run 5000 OCI with Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30 and
the OEM Hyundai filter, but I am wondering if I can be doing better for more gas mileage and longer engine life? Would switching to a FULL synthetic really provide any improvement in my case?

I have 47200 soft miles now and plan to try to take the Elantra
to around 175,000 miles. I drive conservatively and the car is in showroom MINT condition. My friends call her "Golden Girl."

Last edited:
With a relatively short OCI and relatively mild winters I doubt you would benefit from a full synthetic. Wear wouldn't change between a 5-20 and 5-30, and I doubt you would see a difference in fuel economy. Keep on keeping on. The engine will outlast the car.

IMHO 5W30 or 5W20 isn't gonna matter in this case.

Personally, I don't spend too much time going through the nitty-gritty side of oil weights, esp. between 5W20 or 5W30 so long as you are doing a conservation OCI and such.

Q.

I use a garden variety of oil weights (from 5W30 to 5W20, whatever I have on hand/leftovers) on my wifey's 04 camry, and ever see any difference so far.

I agree with Q, addyguy and lexus114....Don't need to change a thing. I don't even think i would change brands of 5w30. MC is great oil. Perfect for the OCI's you are doing anyway. If you feel so inclined to use PP, PU or M1 that is your business but just a waste of money. You could always use one of those brands every few OCI's and it won't hurt (different cleaning abilities).

as long as you change them out routinely it doesnt matter do what is affordable and available 5w20 may be a better choice for the winter but 5w 30 would be fine as well.

I've run 5 UOA's on my 2005 Elantra, using everything from cheap $.99/qt oil to PP synthetic. No real diff except for the cost, but I am a conservative easy driver and use a 6mo/5k OCI or less.

You could probably run Mazola in the BetaII engine if you changed it regularly (just kidding).

As a prior poster stated, the engine will likely outlast the car anyway. Just dont forget the timing belt and tranny flushes (if auto).

Originally Posted By: flinter
Which oil weight is the best to provide LONG engine life for my
2006 Hyundai Elranta...5W-20 or 5W-30?

Currently, I run 5000 OCI with Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30 and
the OEM Hyundai filter, but I am wondering if I can be doing better for more gas mileage and longer engine life? Would switching to a FULL synthetic really provide any improvement in my case?

You are doing a good job.

I have 47200 soft miles now and plan to try to take the Elantra
to around 175,000 miles. I drive conservatively and the car is in showroom MINT condition. My friends call her "Golden Girl."

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Stick with EXACTLY what you are doing.

+1

+2

Just go ahead and do a 50/50 mix, the best of both worlds. Either a thin 30w or a thicker 20. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back