5W-20 Milage Gains??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not posted in a long time... I recently changed the oil on my 99 Taurus (24V DOHC) from Havoline 5W-30 to Motorcraft 5w-20 (bought everything that the Pottstown Walmart had on clearence for .75 cents a quart). I figured that at that price I did not mind switching to the 5W-20. After 3 fillups at the pump, I have noticed what I calculate to be about an 8% gain in fuel economy. That did not seem correct, but that is what the numbers say.

Is this possible?
dunno.gif
I thought maybe 1-3% would be all.

I have read that 8% is possible. Can't remember where though. It's very tough to gage with so many changing variables. Weather being a big factor.

While I do not doubt what you are saying, I do not get a sense of the actual numbers. But I do think it is very well possible.

I have been using a 5w20 (Honda OEM fill) on a 2004 Honda Civic for app 10,000 miles. Since this was break in the numbers varied from 35-39 mpg. or 4 mpg or 11%. Recently it broke 40 mpg or 14%. I did the oem recommended oil change at 10,000 miles and have switched to a 0w20 synthetic.( Mobil One) I am excited to see if there will be any further mpg change.

[ May 10, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I've heard that you can expect 1.5% to about 2.5% increase in gas mileage also going from 30-weight to 20-weight, but I measure about 5% in my Acura RSX. I've been afraid to admit it because I don't like being called a liar.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FordSVTGuy:
(bought everything that the Pottstown Walmart had on clearence for .75 cents a quart).

shocked.gif
mad.gif
pat.gif
banghead.gif

offtopic.gif
MAN.... I wish I knew about that clearence. I mean, I heard about it, but after it was too late...went there recently and was devoid of anything Motorcraft....
crushedcar.gif

quote:

bought everything that the Pottstown Walmart had on clearence for .75 cents a quart)

Well, I got most of what you missed for $0.50/quart. I passed on 3 more cases. I've got about 2-3 years of oil on hand.

I got less mpg on the MC 5w-20 over 20w-50 in my minivan. At least on long trip mileage. I'm still figuring it will perform better in mixed/short trip driving over heavy weights.

What do you guys think the downside of useing the wieght 20 would be? I hear from the board that it does not offer as good of protection as 30 wieght. I drive a honda prelude and tend to drive it alittle crazy at times.
thanks for your time

We're waiting for all you Beta tester out there to finish you Xw-20 testing. Seriously I think there is not enough information to know what the long term effects of Xw-20 oils will be. Engines are getting better, oil is getting better so the results should be good.

My wife's 2004 Honda CR-V showed a 1-1.5 MPG improvement switching to M1 OW-20 from factory 5W-20. I guess the thinner oil at start-up helped efficiency during the winter mornings. Then at 22,000 miles, gas mileage improved another 2 MPG. I thought maybe the engine finally broke-in, but I'm more inclined to conclude the improvements had to do with the seasonal change from winter blended gas to summer gas. Maybe that played a factor with you too
dunno.gif

can you use 0w20 or 5w20 in an engine that specs 5w30? I was wondering if I would see any increase in gas mileage on my Toyota tacoma v6 since it only gets about 18mpg combined

I was under the impression that winter fuels were used between Nov~March. This varies by state.
I have recently noticed a MPG increase with my last fillup.

If the engine has more components(like 4 cams vs 1, 4 pistons/rods vs 8....), the MPG change might be more noticeable since those components are working through that oil. Going from 10 to 12mpg is a big improvement. Going from 38 to 40 isn't.

I also believe that anybody who wants to run a 20wt can. But you should plan for it if your owners manual doesn't offer it as an option.

Add an oil temp gauge to see where the oil temps are now. Average temps, peak temps, traffic temps, and load temps(passing while going uphill) need to be monitored.

Add an oil cooler. Water/oil heat exchangers are my favorite since they manage temp. Air/oil exhanger with thermostat would be my second choice.
Use an oversized filter. The biggest one that fits will increase oil volume and help cool the oil. A remote mount makes it easier to fit a larger filter(s).
Control underhood temperatures.
Insulate wrap or coat the exhaust manifold/header and downpipe.
Use a lower temp thermostat if acceptable.
Keep the oil level topped off.
If doing an engine rebuild, use a higher volume oil pump and a higher PSI regulator.
Use a larger sump, and aeration/windage control(like scrapers, baffles, and screens).

For a bump in MPG without risking the 20wt:
Clean/gap those spark plugs. Yeah, I know that everyone has platinum/iridium super duper plugs now and most people don't touch 'em until a CEL/SES appears.
Check your tire pressure. Use 2-3psi(or more) over the owners' manuals 'comfort' recommendation. Use a digital or dial type tire pressure gauge. The pencil type and builtin to the air compressor at the gas station are usually inacurrate!
Use synthetic fluids everywhere(front/rearends, transmissions, PS steering, bearing greases, transfercases, u-joints, CV's......).
Check your 4-wheel alignment.
Change your air filter regularly.
Improve the chassis grounding/power cabling.

Research your vehicle online for common issues that might cause poor MPG.

Does Mobil1 still make the 0W-20? I saw it last November at Autozone but when I was changing my oil a couple of weeks ago, wherever I went had only 5W-20.

I wonder if they have discontinued it. The Honda hybrids call for 0W-20 oil so there definitely is a growing market for that oil.

I understand the Mobil One 0w20 has been discontinued in favor of the 5w20.
frown.gif
So I have on hand app 80,000 more miles of the 0w20, then I will use the Mobil One 5w20 (actually have it already)

(A response to a prior post) I will look for a 1-1.5 mpg increase from OEM Honda conventional 5w20 to Ow20 synthetic then! Yahoo!

Most likely, reformulation to Summer gas is a factor. If you used any fuel additives, it also may have helped.

I can't see any measurable difference in our Ford modular V-8 under the same conditions between the two. Your Taurus would have better aerodynamics though also and the difference might be more pronounced.

I can see more noticeable gains with a Taurus on the hiway than little or none with a Navigator SUV or F-150.

quote:

Does Mobil1 still make the 0W-20? I saw it last November at Autozone but when I was changing my oil a couple of weeks ago, wherever I went had only 5W-20.

I haven't seen the two product data sheets to compare these two oils. Can't a blender just rebadge the 0w-20 into 5w-20? I mean it may just be a matter of market acceptance that spawns the action. A 0w-20 is also a 5w-20 (10w-20, etc.).
dunno.gif

None of the 20 weights are that thin. It's merely a shaving of the baseline spec of 30 weight. If a 5w-20 can not shear ..like a 5w-30 ..then you're typically operating on the same viscosity ...just earlier into the OCI.

Jay,

Pumping losses increase non-linearly as a function of engine speed, so a 5% gain is very believable for a very high rpm Acura motor....By contrast,I'd expect a low rpm V-10, Ford Triton engine would see almost no gain with a 5w-20 over a 5w-30.

By the way, I drove the TSX w/ five speed Auto trans a few weeks back - a sweet and not so little car @ 3250 lbs. They did a very nice job on the overall design and materials selection and they certainly come fully loaded.

I also drove the RL - too big and isolated - and TL - a really nice V-6 Accord - and thought the TSX was far and away the most fun to drive and the best value....

TS

On my 2001 Civic LX I have only used various brands of conventional 5W-20 (Teaxaco Havoline, Motorcraft , Castrol and one time Valvoline) The mileage on an interstate trip is in the range of 38.5 - 42 mpg. The Civic is now at 113,000 miles and runs great. I usually change at 4000 mile intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
can you use 0w20 or 5w20 in an engine that specs 5w30?

I would not advise it, although most 5w-30 dino oils are functioning as a 20 weight after a few thousand miles anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back