5w-20 instead of 5w-30...wasn't paying attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday mistake number #7…went to WMart and purchased a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum for the oil change on my 2005 Toyota 4Runner V6. Went home did my oil change, dumped the 5 qt jug + ½ gt of 5w-30 M1 to top things up. Then I looked at the Pennzoil jug and realized it was 5w-20 not 5w-30…d’oh!

In my haste at WMart, I grabbed the jug from the back of the rack (because that’s fresher ya know) and didn’t examine it…just assumed everything in that row was 5w-30 (guess not)!

Everything I ever read says this Toyota V6 only takes 5w-30 (it doesn’t qualify for the Toyota 5w-20 TSB)…any advice? Are 7500 miles in the Wisconsin cold weather going to be OK or should I bite the bullet and pay for my lack of attention to detail?

Well, if you don't hear any noises at startup or while driving, you may have just discovered your winter oil. I would first wait and see/listen how the engine runs on the oil(since your thinking of biting the bullet anyway)!
And second, should you experience noises that aren't to your liking, change the oil to your normal 5W30. Drive around for awhile during this better weather. This will at least give you a chance to see if this oil is OK for your engine and will allow you to change the oil in plenty of time for the up coming winter.

Sure, anyone in your situation would be concerned but, as I mentioned, you may have discovered your winter oil or, you many want to blend 5W30 and 5W20 next time/winter. This is a perfect opertunity to find out and may be a blessing in discuise!

Think about your driving style and how you use the 4 Runner. For example: One time, I put in 5W20 into my wifes '01 RX-300(which calls for 5W30) for the winter cause she does very short trips to and from her work. It was fine the whole winter. Never a noise! I don't practice this but, will consider it again
smile.gif

Others will chime in, especially those with similar vehicles/engines like yours. I don't think that one OCI w/5W20 will hurt that engine.

The military did some tests some years back and found 30 weight synthetic actually resulted in less wear at 250F than 40 weight conventional.

Synthetic also tends to shear less so might end up with a higher viscosity than a well sheared 5W30 conventional any way.

If it was mine I would run it.

Since it is not on the factory approved list, I would do this. Drain and save the 5w20 in a clean container. Refill the engine with the correct oil and only 1 or 2 quarts of the 5w20 mixed with the 5w30. I would sleep better knowing it is the better way. Ed

Well, since you are in Wisconsin, and winter is coming on, I think you will be fine with a good synthetic 5W20. If there were any worries, they would potentially come over a hot summer. Frankly, I would suspect you would be fine even then (unless you moved to Phoenix and started pulling a trailer) but thinking conservatively, if that 7.5K interval will be coming up before it gets hot (relatively speaking for Cheese-Heads, of course ( : < ), you'll have the oil replaced by then. If you are worried and you haven't reached your interval by that time, change it early.

Last edited:
5w-20 and 5w-30 are almost the same viscosity. Motor oil is motor oil. 5w-20 protects millions of engines.

OTOH oil sees more fuel dilution in winter and sometimes that breaks down viscosity a little. You should run the 5w-20 until February 1 and then change it out.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Why not add a 'viscosity index improver' such as STP oil treatment this one time?

+1

Go add some STP or similar additive that REALLY thickens the oil.
STP 4 cyl formula is too thin - you need the regular stuff.
But there are a number of other products/mfrs that will be great for this.

Don't need to add oil thickener, just drive the car with 5W20 in it now and you may find that your engine is more responsive and quieter than before.

I have xW20 in my E430 sine summer 2008 instead of the spec'ed M1 0W40. My engine is much quieter at all RPM's and acceleration is much better with thinner oil, the bonus is better MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back