5w-20 in a 1985 Dodge 600 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan

Come on, a 2.2 L engine putting out only 146 hp and 168 lbâ‹…ft? You would be even fine with a 0W-16. There is absolutely no need to drain the 5W-20.

You are forgetting about the turbo. Those turbos get very hot in those engines and 0w16 would be a complete disaster.

And those engines were also under rated. Mine was definitely putting out a lot more than 146 hp based on the cars I was street racing against and keeping up with or beating. They were making closer to 175 hp in my estimation.

While what you're saying is absolutely correct in theory, I would be cautious with generalizations such as "any viscosity grade will do fine in this engine" without knowing more specific information about this engine or the driving style of its new owner.
This engine has quite a high specific power output for it's era and is turbocharged.

The engine will probably not grenade using 5W-20 but especially in summer with slightly more sporty driving increased wear might occur.

I'd therefore propose you gently drive a couple hundred miles, then change to a high quality 10W-30 and then see this as a gentle engine flush which is never a bad practice to do once you buy a used vehicle.
Better safe than sorry...

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Gokhan

Come on, a 2.2 L engine putting out only 146 hp and 168 lbâ‹…ft? You would be even fine with a 0W-16. There is absolutely no need to drain the 5W-20.

You are forgetting about the turbo. Those turbos get very hot in those engines and 0w16 would be a complete disaster.

And those engines were also under rated. Mine was definitely putting out a lot more than 146 hp based on the cars I was street racing against and keeping up with or beating. They were making closer to 175 hp in my estimation.

Mine had an aftermarket turbo computer. Basically the way to get more hp was to fiddle with the wastegate. I forget what the factory setting was, but you got more PSI's of boost with the aftermarket computer. Maybe that's why mine blew the head gasket...

Originally Posted by Mitsu_Joe
While what you're saying is absolutely correct in theory, I would be cautious with generalizations such as "any viscosity grade will do fine in this engine" without knowing more specific information about this engine or the driving style of its new owner.
This engine has quite a high specific power output for it's era and is turbocharged.

The engine will probably not grenade using 5W-20 but especially in summer with slightly more sporty driving increased wear might occur.

I'd therefore propose you gently drive a couple hundred miles, then change to a high quality 10W-30 and then see this as a gentle engine flush which is never a bad practice to do once you buy a used vehicle.
Better safe than sorry...

This is what I'd do. Nothing wrong with a good flush on an engine of unknown history. Especially something not known to be especially durable.

Back in the 1980s, a 10W-30 was a Group I dino with a low-viscosity-index (low-VI) base oil. A modern conventional Group II+ 5W-30 or a synthetic Group III+ 5W-30 will run as thick as a dino Group I 10W-30 of the 1980s. A modern conventional or synthetic 10W-30 will usually run even thicker than a modern 5W-30.

Since it has a turbocharger, I would probably run a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen3 5W-30 to reduce the oil oxidation and deposits. A thicker synthetic oil or a conventional 15W-40 HDEO is good, too. You can also run a full-SAPS ACEA A3/B4 oil such as the Castrol Edge 0W-40 ACEA A3/B4 or Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, FS meaning full-SAPS. If a thicker oil makes the engine feel sluggish, stick with a GM dexos1 Gen 2/Gen 3 5W-30 unless you have oil-consumption issues.

Of course, when you buy a used car, it may be a good idea to change the oil and oil filter immediately anyway.

If it were me, I would change it out.
Chrysler turbos run hot oil temperatures and notoriously low oil pressure at hot idle.
My factory service manual for 1989 indicates the minimum oil pressure spec is 4psi.

Personally I think a modern 15W-40 HDEO would be just perfect for this engine. I'd never run a 20-weight in it at all.

Neat car, don't see them around much at all anymore!

Not much of a difference as cars recommended 5w20 people put 5w30 in the as well as Ford back spec to 5w20 from 5w30 so as other manufacturers including Chrysler went to 5w20 in engines that previously ran 5w30. If mine I would drain out whatever they put in and go with your favorite oil in required specs according to the manual. Shouldn't hurt anything to run the oil to recommended miles or time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back