5W-20 in 2009 Grand Cherokee V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a little early to be analyzing, but I thought I'd run it anyway, especially since the computer told me to change the oil when I stopped for gas about 300 miles before getting home.

It is in kilometers, so the car has about 8400 miles on it it. The oil about 3500 miles, mostly heavy mountain climbing and hairpin curves, lots of mud and fog, lots of dust. About 1000 miles of pavement at 70 mph.

It is a 5W-20 group II from American Petroleum Co.

I'm guessing at this point that the silicon is seals and stuff from the new engine, as well as a good part of the metals. Next check will tell better.

OEM filter installed by dealer

2253tar-1.jpg

db_Chrysler_filter_05184231AA1.jpg

Iron is way high but engine is breaking in. But, you don't see any other metals that are excessive. I think the computer was right!

Dust/mud might be some of the silicon. A spec of dirt scratched the engine and there's your Fe cause.

Shouldn't you wait until the engine has at least 20,000-25,000 miles on it? Other than fuel dilution or a coolant leak I didn't think you can tell much else in an engine so new.

AD

Made in Good old Detroit!!!!!!!!!

And a very nice solid car do drive in the mountains and mud.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Shouldn't you wait until the engine has at least 20,000-25,000 miles on it? Other than fuel dilution or a coolant leak I didn't think you can tell much else in an engine so new.

AD

He'll start a trend. He said he thought it was a bit early ..

If nothing else, he'll figure how the oil held up ..which is the most reliable data on the sheet. The rest is deemed inferential.

American Petroleum Co. has no marketing for motor oil that I could find ..so no tech sheets ...etc..etc.

Yep, normally I wouldn't send it, but since the message and light came on, I thought I should see how the oil was, particularly because of the hard driving. Obviously the oil held up well.
The product specs are on my site, which I'd link but I'd get a nasty note from a moderator. Google and you will find it. In the US they are sold directly by Industrial Oils Unlimited Inc out of Tulsa, Shreveport, Ft. Smith, and I forget where else.

For a group II oil it sure has a very robust add pack. I don't think I have ever seen a Group II oil with that much calcium. Lots of ZDDP too and a TBN of 6 after 3500 miles and especially the type of driving you did during this OCI is very impressive.

Question:

This oil is not SM, SL or any other API spec. It has a HDEO add-pack. If you're using an oil that doesn't meet any required specs, why bother running a 20-weight? If this oil were analyzed you'd loose any warranty you had on the vehicle....

It just seems weird to have a super-thin, but super additized oil to make up for the lack of viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back