5w-20 Bulk, one size fits all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware of some dealerships that stock 5w-20 oil and use it in all gas engines that they service. If it's a twin turbo V6 that's in a pickup or an older engine that specs a 5/10w-30 .... It gets 5w-20. I even had an otherwise respectable tech tell me that 5w-20 and 5w-30 conventional is the same exact thing. It doesn't seem to bother some people because they don't 'notice a difference' during the interval. Am I weird for being nervous about putting a conventional 5w-20 in a turbo engine?

If it was designed for 5w20 it is fine. Turbo isn't all that these days as many are just low boost.

I'm more concerned about them using 5w20 for cars with 10w30 spec, they probably won't chance it either.

A modern water cooled turbo I have no worries using a "conventional" 5W20 if this is the spec. a 0W40 would be closer to a one size fits all IMO.

That would be another reason added to my long list of why I do that work myself. If/when the day comes that I can't do he work I'd have a shop I trust put the oil I want in my car.

Originally Posted by dave1251
A modern water cooled turbo I have no worries using a "conventional" 5W20 if this is the spec. a 0W40 would be closer to a one size fits all IMO.

Very good post
smile.gif

Maybe its just me but a 5w20 seems like a one size fits nothing weight now. To many call for a thin 0 weight or turbos calling for 5w30+.

Maybe a "thicker" semi-syn 5w20 might be ok but a better one size fits all would be a semi-syn 5w30.

Honda specs 0w-20 for the 1.5T in my new Accord.

The plan is to run 0w30. Or maybe 1/2 M1 0w-20 and 1/2 M1 0w-30 for something more in the middle. 30 weight isn't needed but 20 weight seems too thin. Half way in between seems like a sweet spot to me.

Originally Posted by Throt
Honda specs 0w-20 for the 1.5T in my new Accord.

The plan is to run 0w30. Or maybe 1/2 M1 0w-20 and 1/2 M1 0w-30 for something more in the middle. 30 weight isn't needed but 20 weight seems too thin. Half way in between seems like a sweet spot to me.
This is the poster child for a 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks approach.'
Several 'seems too' and a few 'in the middle' add in some suspension of disbelief and you end up with a 0w-20 & 0w-30 mix and some sweet justification.

I hope you don't design bridges for a living, sir.

I change my own oil but, if I observed any dealer or auto shop putting the incorrect viscosity oil, then I would advise all my kids, friend etc. to not use that shop. That must be one of the lowest things a shop can do to a customer. Not stocking the manufactures recommend oils. Ed

Originally Posted by Imp4

This is the poster child for a 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks approach.'
Several 'seems too' and a few 'in the middle'

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back