Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
All these votes for PP. I'm changing my vote M1
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.gif

M1EP might be the best OTC synthetic.
21.gif

yep one of the best...

I'm advising M1 5-30 EP. I use it in my 07 Focus that calls for 5-20 and it works great in all climats. For what it's worth I did a UOA on the Focus at 9200 miles and the wear #s were very low with a good TBN left. Mileage seems to be uneffected and I have more confidence in the 30 than the 20 especialy after the 5000 mile mark.

Thanks for all the input. I was leaning toward M1 or M1EP 5w20. M1 seems to be more widely available than some others. I will be staying at 5K OCI for warranty purposes, but I don't mind to pay a little extra for oil. I know that the oil may still be good for a longer OCI but 5K is easy to remember and any oil is starting to get kinda dirty by that point. MC filter of course.

Originally Posted By: jshaw
Thanks for all the input. I was leaning toward M1 or M1EP 5w20. M1 seems to be more widely available than some others. I will be staying at 5K OCI for warranty purposes, but I don't mind to pay a little extra for oil. I know that the oil may still be good for a longer OCI but 5K is easy to remember and any oil is starting to get kinda dirty by that point. MC filter of course.

Good choice,,go with the EP,you can run it out longer once your off warranty,the oil is very capible of it.

FWIW: In a thread I posted, there was a van that my dad inherited and it has over 172K Miles on it and it used Motorcraft 5w20 all its life. It doesn't have any consumption issues and the engine passed the emission test with flying colours.

IMO OTC Pennzoil offers some of the best products and at reasonable prices, especially their Platinum line.

Originally Posted By: jshaw

If you are going to do 5K, then why not use a less expensive oil? NAPA synthetic oils are on sale for $2.99 per quart right now, and are available in 5W-20. Quaker State Horse Power is only $18 for a 5 quart jug.

For 5k OCI's, any brand name dino is capable to do the job, M1EP is a waste of money. If to make you sleep better at night, any syn blend or any synthetic on sale would be more than adequate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back