5w-20 Amsoil or Mobil 1 which is preferrable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 Civic is due for an oil change soon. In the board's opinion which oil is better; or is it a wash? I commute 110 miles a day, mostly highway at 70-75 mph so I am fairly easy on oil. I plan on 10,000 mile OCIs. AutoZone has a deal on the regular Mobil 1, 5 quarts and an M1 filter for $30. Or should I go with Amsoil and one of my NAPA Gold filters? Thanks

What would 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum and the Wix filter cost you? Are you going to follow the Maintenance Minder System?

I assume the M1 AZ special is 5W-20 as well?

I, of course, use the Amsoil XL 5W-20 in my 06 Honda Odyssey. It think it's a great oil. It has shown some truly excellent UOA's. Is it far superior to any oil mentioned in this thread? Probably not, but we tend to discuss this kind of comparison until way past dark.

Your choice, but you won't go wrong with Amsoil.

either will do fine I'm sure. I use Amsoil XL 5w20 in my 06 CRV since it's much more affordable in Canada. $5.50 a quart compared to M1's $8.99 up here. That's regular price for both of course, and I've never seen M1 on sale as of yet
smile.gif

I use Napa Gold or Amsoil's EaO. Same filter, different media, great design, in my newbie opinion.

Depends on your drain interval. PP seemingly doesn't go 10k "comfortably" (for members here) from what I've read. It's cheaper and if you're doing 5k, use it with confidence, however.
I use M1 for 10k intervals on my '01 Civic, Wix filter. Used to use Amsoil's 0w30 for *cough* a full year, up to 21k. It's called blind faith. If you are on these boards you'll quickly learn it may not be the best idea.

Looks like I would recomend the Amsoil, My buddy will be trying 5-20 Ams this weekend, by the way if you can get an EaO filter they are great.

i too have a 06 civic - 1.8 litre - not sure what engine size you have thou. I plan on 5k mi oci with either ford semi syn 5w-20 or castrol 5w-20 since it meets the harder ford rating that many oils do not. The walmart supertech filters made by champion also have fiberglass (synthetic media) reinforcement media in the filter too. supposively a very good filter especially at $2.07 each.

I went to AutoZone today and at least here in CT they wouldn't honor the deal they had posted in the internet flyer. They wanted $40 for 5 quarts of M1 5w-20 and the M1 filter. I guess I just found one less place to buy oil.

Honestly, I think any of the 5w-20's are up to the task. Amsoil 5w-20 is a great choise as is M1. PP could handle the 10k mile drain IMO. In fact, Johnny said the oil was tested out to 15k miles before it's release. Under your highway conditions, I don't see any problem. If you drive this car hard, like I do, I'd also recommend Redline.

[ July 12, 2006, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Bio-T ]

I run M1 5w-20 in my 06 civic ex sedan with either a M1 filter or a PureOne.

Next oil change its going to 0w-20. I have our 05 Accord on 0w-20 with either M1 or PureOne filter. I caught the M1 sale at my AZ. If they would have had 0w-20 M1 I would have changed the Civic over at that time.

Im going to change the Civic's MT tranny over to M1 0w-20 today and the accords due for a oil change today.

Between those two I'd pick Amsoil. You probably wouldn't notice any difference from M1, but I think it has a bit of an edge in the UOA department, plus I like to support the smaller companies whenever possible.

I may try the old PP next OCI for 10k. Might as well, now. I've already run Amsoil's 0w30 for 21k on their filters and oil; why not a 10k on a Honda engine with 90k on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back