5w-20 accidentally used instead of 5w-30 in '05 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pbm
I agree that no harm will come from using a modern 5w20 in a car that called for a 5w30 from the SL era....which would most likely shear to a 20 wt. quickly anyway.
On the other hand I'd rather make that mistake at the beginning of winter than summer....especially in Georgia heat and with 290K.

Being the slightly obsessive guy that I am when it comes to oil....I'd probably drain a quart out and replace it with a quart of 10w40 to 'thicken it up a bit'......I certainly wouldn't dump the whole crankcase full....

My OCD might have me adding a bottle of Schaeffer's #132 to thicken it up a bit.

I accidently dumped Idemitsu 0w20 into wifey's 2006 TSX (190 K), which calls for 5w30 in the mighty K24.
Dang thing ran great!
Full disclosure, I run 5w20 in it mostly.

Drain it if its noisy. Better Hope Grampa doesnt have a lead foot like THIS Grampa.
Old retired folks don't need to unnecessarily loose the engine on their transportaion.

Add 1/2 bottle of STP (so you don't overfill) … he will feel so much better (engine will not care) …

I'd like to know if it uses oil going forward. I'm running 10-30 in my QR25DE and it's using way more than it ever did with 5-30. I'm thinking of trying qsud 5-20 to see what happens.

If the oil cap says 5W30 stay with a 30!!! Jeepers! These do not have fancy Valvetrains.

They are like the old early>mid 2000 Toyota 2.4

Simple Solid cam bucket follower DOHC.Motorcycle Like a Big Cheap Suzuki 500 parallel twin from the 80's

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Good. I didn't figure it would be an issue, but now I can reassure him of that. Thanks guys.

If you can't just drain it into a clean pan and save it for the Dodge. Put it back in the 5-30 bottles but make sure you label them cause old guys forget stuff.

This is what I would be doing with my OCD.

Do you own this engine in a vehicle?

I did. At least MINE would hard knock if the oil gat just a liitle bit into the 20 grade.

Maybe the OP engine is clearanced tighter than mine - but I doubt it.

And since when is it OK to run a 20 grade "willy nilly" where a 30 is specified?

This is BITOG not ... "whatever ... dude"

I'm a fussy guy with time on his hands. With a hot Georgia summer coming, I'd drain out the 5w-20 M1 into a clean container, refill the Altima with 5w-30 and reuse the 5w-20 in the Dodge. Leave the Altima filter alone.

Settle down, you're going to throw a clot.

The driver is 78 years old and drives very little. I took that into account.

I talked to him this morning at church, and he's not concerned about it. He drove it to church and said he didn't hear anything unusual. I mentioned adding STP or draining it into a clear container and he shrugged it off.

He's one of those that never goes over 2500 rpm or 65 mph. It consumes about a quart every 5,000 miles of the M1 5w-30. He puts in a whole 5 quart jug in the 4.5 quart sump. I'll compare the consumption and might get a uoa done at 5k just to see. This engine doesn't make any noise usually. It has the occasional tick on cold starts in the winter that goes away within 10-15 seconds. Otherwise, it hums along quietly and this 5w-20 doesn't seem to have changed that. I listened to him crank it up and leave after church and it sounded normal.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I talked to him this morning at church, and he's not concerned about it. He drove it to church and said he didn't hear anything unusual. I mentioned adding STP or draining it into a clear container and he shrugged it off.

He's one of those that never goes over 2500 rpm or 65 mph. It consumes about a quart every 5,000 miles of the M1 5w-30. I'll compare the consumption and might get a uoa done at 5k just to see. This engine doesn't make any noise usually. It has the occasional tick on cold starts in the winter that goes away within 10-15 seconds. Otherwise, it hums along quietly and this 5w-20 doesn't seem to have changed that. I listened to him crank it up and leave after church and it sounded normal.

It sounds like he has his mind made up. I'd forget about it then. I doubt there will be any damage to his engine running it for an OCI.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I know the new Nissans are speced for 5 or 0-20 with basically the same engine...….
Unless it's changed since 2017, there's no OM mention of 5w20, just 0w20 or as alternative 5w30 conventional.
crazy2.gif
Now there's no logical reason to leave out 5w20, so I would have no hesitation about using 0w20, 5w20, or 5w30, all in either synthetic or conventional

Clinebarger mentioned the AFM hardware in newer GM 5.3's did not change going from 5w30 to 0w20 spec … so I plan to be flexible once out of warranty … not having much luck finding best prices on 0w20 … and will not push it as far either on these DI engines … Having two 8 quart sumps (and several 4-6) … gets to be real money …

After reading the replies that go all over the place, I was thinking you (or your grandfather) might be more confused or concerned than before ! Between drain it and replace with the "right" weight, add some mystery chemical, drain a little and add a much thicker oil to "thicken" it, and "doubt there will be any damage" responses, you'd be rightfully concerned.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Clinebarger mentioned the AFM hardware in newer GM 5.3's did not change going from 5w30 to 0w20 spec … so I plan to be flexible once out of warranty … not having much luck finding best prices on 0w20 … and will not push it as far either on these DI engines … Having two 8 quart sumps (and several 4-6) … gets to be real money …

Right now Walmart has Havoline Pro DS in 0w-20 in the 6 quart smart box here for $19 and change. I seems Walmart always has something you can order for pickup or directly mailed to your home for under $22.88 a Jug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-SMART-CHANGE-ProDS-0W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-6-qt/807045416

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back