5W-20/5W-30 Additives to meet SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline SL Mo-160ppm, B-30ppm
Havoline SM Mo-400ppm, B-60ppm

MC Semi SL Mo- 0ppm, B-30ppm
MC Semi SM Mo-230ppm, B-50ppm

It seems that solving the problem of decreased levels of ZDDP while meeting SM specifications was not to difficult to solve. Increase Mo by approximately 230 ppm and increase B by approximately 30 ppm in each of these formulations!

Motorcraft semi levels of Mo and B are approximately 80% of Mobil EP levels.

My point, none. Just an observation.

I just went to Pep Boys to pick up their "free" Valvoline HM 5-30...but, I didn't know it was only SL rated. It's a good oil, I'm sure, but, I passed because it wasn't SM. I don't know if my engines would do any better/worse...might have "thought" my way out of 17.95 cents worth of free oil....

You chose...poorly.
tongue.gif

They got rid of the zinc/ZDP/ZDDP compounds for SM-rated oil, and replaced it with increased levels of calcium, moly (in some oils) and boron? I suppose the enhanced levels of other elements are deemed less harmful to the thin-coated cat converter elements of the present day.

Bright side, I suppose, is that the SM-rated oils are a better base oil to begin with? Besides, you can always dose the SM oil with a little CD2 SLOB.

Truth be told Tiatan, if you're a stash-building, bargain-hunting oil-addict, you probably missed a major opportunity to feed the habit and build up your hoard a little.

This is an off-topic response to Titan. Titan, check out the rebate forum for the latest scoops. I bought Valvoline HM SL at Pepboys and printed my rebate form from the Valvoline website (you have to input your name and address; no PO boxes). It is a manufacturer rebate, not specific to Pepboys. If you want Valvoline HM SM (in quart bottles and 5 quart jugs), I have seen it at my local Walmart; maybe your area store has it. Keep copies of your receipt and rebate form because Walmart often prints just "motor oil" on their receipts, which means you may have to do a follow up call to "clarify." I just called Pepboys today to "clarify" a rebate I submitted in April. This is often the case for me; Pepoys pays my rebates, but it usually requires a phone call. I call them shortly after 7AM central time because the couple of times I have tried calling in the afternoon have been unsuccesful due to "high call volume."

By the way, the Valvoline rebate is also for Valvoline HM Synthetic; up to $17.50 for conventional and up to (I think) $29 for synthetic.

The rebate game (all rebates of any kind) is a contact sport; don't play unless you have the time, organizational skill, and inclination to do so.

quote:

MC Semi SL Mo- 0ppm, B-30ppm
MC Semi SM Mo-230ppm, B-50ppm

Interesting topic, but did you unintentionally transpose the moly & boron for Motorcraft SM?

Motorcraft and the ConocoPhillips family of brands have a somewhat unique signature to the formulation in that the boron level is 4-5 times or more than moly.

Something we never saw in the SL/GF-3 moly-boron oils, such as Chevron & Mobil 1.

Motorcraft 5W-20 UOA Report

Motorcraft 5W-30 UOA Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back