5W-20/30 Pennzoil Plat, 5K miles, '18 F-150 5.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
50/50 mix PP 5W-20/30. 24% remaining oil life (not reset after change at 1,000 miles). 202 hours total/ 58 hours idle this interval. 350 miles (est) towing 6,000# boat/trailer. Motorcraft filter.

Should be good for a one year, 6,000 mile interval.

Hopefully the Manganese will trend down with wear-in. (These engines apparently do have Manganese/Bronze valve guides.) Blackstone's "universal averages" suggest 6 ppm on a 5,900 run per a UOA from a Mustang forum.

(FWIW, I think Sample #3 viscosity was incorrect as my 50/50 mix should have been around 9.2 cSt @ 100°C at start.)

04-01-19-truck-uoa-revised.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of fuel dilution for a non-Ecoboost engine. In warm lower-AL like this, switch to a 5w30 to counter.

a 10-30 fake synthetic is better yet or real PAO + or Ester oils being best for severe heat + or cold. i don't believe in OLM 's + many cheap simple oil analysis don't show all that is going on. check out savage geese you tube engine oil the fine print. thinking heavy towing in heat may come close to a track day or so depending!

Thanks for the report. I've switched to 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum on my 2018 5.0. But my oil life monitor only gets me between 5-6k miles so I'll be switching to 5w-30 pyb next change as I'm not going for a long interval on this. Just following the iolm down to 0%. It's a little bit thicker at 10.5 cst so I'm going to give it a try. I don't think that these like the lighter oils to be honest. They get some fuel dilution and a 20 grade oil gets down to mid 6's cst.

Also your silicon seems to be staying a little on the high side. Still running a motorcraft filter? Try changing it out to another brand. Many have seen silicon decrease a fair bit with better filters that simply filter and seal better.

The '18 5.0 is now DI (actually duel fueled; DI and MPI). So that's likely the source of the fuel.

If I am reading the data right, the first OCI was 1k miles on sample 1.
Samples 2, 3, 4 are the same oil load; correct?
Between sample 1-2; 1513 miles.
Between sample 2-3; 588 miles.
Between sample 3-4; 1825 miles.

Young engine; too early to really understand trends for this unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A lot of fuel dilution for a non-Ecoboost engine. ...

That's what the typical 2 to 3 mile trip gets me.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
... In warm lower-AL like this, switch to a 5w30 to counter.

That is a distinct possibility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
If I am reading the data right, the first OCI was 1k miles on sample 1.
Samples 2, 3, 4 are the same oil load; correct?
Between sample 1-2; 1513 miles.
Between sample 2-3; 588 miles.
Between sample 3-4; 1825 miles.

Sample #1 was after a drain of the factory fill.

Samples #2, 3 & 4 are the same fill.

Sample #3 was done after a road trip to see how much, if any, dilution would abate with extended use. I therefore needed to do a test before the road trip for a comparison. Given the wacky results (particularly viscosity) I am not sure I can infer anything.

Originally Posted by advocate
... Many have seen silicon decrease a fair bit with better filters that simply filter and seal better.

Wonder if the silicone anti-drain back valves on filters might leach a bit into the oil? Motorcraft has them, as does the Fram I put on.

I was actually referring to your air filter. That's where some silicon may be entering the engine giving you slightly elevated numbers. I like to see silicon at 10 or less. I have seen motorcraft/purolator filters not filter all that great and have seal issues. A Fram or aem dryflow would be a good choice in my opinion compared to the motorcrap. Nice choice on the fram ultra oil filter though! That's my go to. Hasn't let me down yet.

Originally Posted by advocate
I was actually referring to your air filter. ...

Got you. A better one couldn't hurt anything.

Someone suggested a 10w30, would PYB be a suitable option? what other 10w30 in a warm climate would be good?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Someone suggested a 10w30, would PYB be a suitable option? what other 10w30 in a warm climate would be good?
Walmart's 10w-30 Mobil1 Extended Performance would be my choice for a high performance one. Fine for AL or FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back