5K OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 F150,4.2V6,35K miles
I just recently started a new job for the company I work for,which is 120 miles round trip each day.The drive is 95% highway miles at speeds ranging 60-70 mph.I have been currently changing my oil at 3K mile intervals.I let my local Ford dealer do my oil changes.They use Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic.Will going to 5K mile OCI be okay for the conditions i'm driving? BTW,i'm in central Florida and the temperature today here was 96*!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
2007 F150,4.2V6,35K miles
...which is 120 miles round trip each day. The drive is 95% highway miles at speeds ranging 60-70 mph.
...temperature today here was 96*!
34.gif

My exact same situation for years. 60 miles to work, 60 back, all on interstate highway. I did either 5K OCI on conventional, or 10K OCI with synthetic Mobil 1. Truck fell apart at 300,000 miles, but the engine stayed tight! Oh yeah, all in south Texas heat. Personally I would go MORE than 5K OCI's. You will be fine.

Last edited:
I had a 2000 with the 4.2, 5K OCI on dino was fine. Never used 5w20 though, as it wasn't originally recommended for the 2000s. Best results I got were with Chevron Supreme 10w30, 4ppm iron and 0 lead in a 5K OCI.

Yes it will.

But why not try Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP or something like that and go extended OCI like 10,000 miles or more?

You might try switching all your fluids to synthetic and see some mpg improvement (tranny, axles, oil)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Yes it will.

But why not try Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP or something like that and go extended OCI like 10,000 miles.

You might try switching all your fluids to synthetic and see some mpg improvement (tranny, axles, oil)

Diff fluid will already be synthetic. Ford has been doing that for years.

Well,looks like i'm going to 5K mile OCIs.I'm letting the dealer do my oil changes until my power train warranty is up,5yrs/50K miles.After that I will do all my oil changes,as I have done in the past on all my other vehicles.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Well,looks like i'm going to 5K mile OCIs.I'm letting the dealer do my oil changes until my power train warranty is up,5yrs/50K miles.After that I will do all my oil changes,as I have done in the past on all my other vehicles.
34.gif

Now that is a smart move!!!!!!..The 5w20 Motorcraft holds up well in Miami jungle heat and nightmare traffic.

Good luck on your new job.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
5k is the new 3k.
I like that.
thumbsup2.gif
And to the OP, I understand you letting the dealer do your changes under warranty. Only mentioned DIY because the MC oil/filter combo is a lot of bang for the buck.

Happy motoring.
19.gif

J

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
5k is the new 3k.
I like that.
thumbsup2.gif
And to the OP, I understand you letting the dealer do your changes under warranty. Only mentioned DIY because the MC oil/filter combo is a lot of bang for the buck.

If the dealer does what you want them to do, then I understand it... but if you think there's a better option, I'd just do it. Plus I can change my own oil in 1/10th the time I waste shuttling the car to the dealer and waiting around or leaving it with them. Manufacturers CANNOT invalidate your warranty so long as you use an approved oil and don't exceed the OLM or recommended OCI, and you can optimize the oil and filter you choose for your driving habits better than the dealer can. I guess there's a "let them do it and they're on the hook if something goes wrong" mentality and I can see that, but I'm more of the "give it the best possible from day one" mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back