5k OCI on Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I asking for trouble with 1250 more miles than the recommended OCI? I'm currently using PP 5w-30 with a Hyundai OEM oil filter.
I get on it every once in a while, but mostly I just do a mild 25 mile commute to work and back.

I wouldn't go over...
It probably wouldnt cause any harm, just once. But i wouldnt go over the oci limit anyway.

Hyundai seems to be more conservative than the rest of the OEM's when it comes to their GDI engine oil change intervals. They must have their reasons.

Does the vehicle spec a syn fluid? If not, then PP is more than capable of going 1,250 miles over the recommended OCI. If it does, then it depends. If this is one of the Hyundais with a 3,750 mile severe service interval and your use qualifies as severe service (which it sounds like it does not), I would not push it 33% over the recommended OCI. If your use is not severe service and the recommended interval is 7,500 miles, I would not sweat extending the OCI by 16.5% over recommended with such a good oil.

If you plan on continuing with that regimen, I would recommend a UOA with TBN at the end of your current OCI just to make sure.

With my 2014 Sonata SE 2.0t, 3750 is the severe service OCI. Since I don't fall into that category l am using the max allowed 5k OCI. I am furnishing the dealer M1 0w-40 and letting them do the change with the OEM filter. With a turbocharged engine I would not use anything but a high quality synthetic oil, even though Hyundai does not require synthetic at their very short OCI. P.S. I tend to run this little engine like I am mad at it, and it loves it. The 2.0t is rated to run on 87 octane, but does produce about 10 HP more, plus more midrange torque on 93 octane. I choose to run 93 always.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 Santa Fe 2.0T. . . I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and going 5000 miles or 6 months. That's with about a 50/50 mix of city / highway driving--shouldn't be a problem. I may do a UOA at the next change to see how it's holding up.

Originally Posted By: syn_all_the_way
Am I asking for trouble with 1250 more miles than the recommended OCI?

If that is outside oci warranty requirements - then yes, you are asking for trouble IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to get some more kits from Blackstone just to be safe.

Is the Mobil 1 0w-40 good for year-round use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: syn_all_the_way
Is the Mobil 1 0w-40 good for year-round use?

Absolutely! ^

Enjoy the ride. We also love our 2.0T!

Originally Posted By: merlin1650
With my 2014 Sonata SE 2.0t, 3750 is the severe service OCI. Since I don't fall into that category l am using the max allowed 5k OCI. I am furnishing the dealer M1 0w-40 and letting them do the change with the OEM filter. With a turbocharged engine I would not use anything but a high quality synthetic oil, even though Hyundai does not require synthetic at their very short OCI. P.S. I tend to run this little engine like I am mad at it, and it loves it. The 2.0t is rated to run on 87 octane, but does produce about 10 HP more, plus more midrange torque on 93 octane. I choose to run 93 always.

merlin1650 is correct,
Synthetic is not required by Hyundai and API-SN/ILSAC GF-5 oil certifications were formulated with turbo protection in mind. We do not run synthectic exclusively in the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T becuase my wife isn't hard on the vehicle, but if either of us drove it like my old Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII, it would get 0W-40 all the time. Usually Castrol 0w-40. But that car was tracked, this car autocrosses the nearby grocery parking lot, LOL.

Last edited:
Hyundai will not reject a warranty claim on an engine as long as there is documented evidence that at least the normal service interval has not been exceeded, and there is no sludge in the motor and the oil level is withing the acceptable range. It is the owner's responsibility to regularly check the fluid level and condition. Top off as needed.

Any 0w40 year round is a good start.
5k run shouldn't be a problem. Mobil1, Redline, Castrol, RoyalPurple, Pennzoil...... have 0w40's usually at the various autopart and department stores. If out of stock, there is no problem with using or topping off with any of the 5w40's.

If you change the oil every 6 months, no need for a UOA/tbn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back