5k mile oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people I know like to use 5k and 7k as safe intervals to change the oil. What are the chances that Mobil 1 would leave deposits at short intervals like this? Is it even worth using synthetic for 5-7k mile oil changes? My thinking is your probably safe up to 10k with Mobil 1 or any oil that shows a strong TBN. I'm assuming that if your TBN is 4> your engine will stay clean. But Mobil 1 does have lower ester content compared to Redline and Amsoil.

I think you need a grade differentiation. My friend used M-1 5-30 in his 1997 Mercedes S600 at 7k mi. intervals....after 40k mi., there was visible sludge beginning to form inside the engine. Car needed about a quart between changes. The 0-40 or 15-50 may have performed better. That's why M-1 5-30 is not 229.1/3 nor A3 rated...so you're taking your chances at 10k mi. IMHO.

5k changes with synthetic are still worth it, as under a lot of conditions a typical OTC dino oil is pretty beat up by 5k, especially a dino 5w30.

quote:

5k changes with synthetic are still worth it, as under a lot of conditions a typical OTC dino oil is pretty beat up by 5k, especially a dino 5w30.

I think so too. If you average 12-15k miles per year you could change the oil 2 times a year and have great wear protection and a clean engine. I definitely think it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back