5G--anyone seen a UW next to the 5G icon?

If you have Verizon wireless, have you ever seen a UW next to your 5G icon, preferably iPhone, but any phone?

I have never seen it, not even in downtown Center City Philly. Also side by side, my 4G phone is usually faster lol

Yes, my iPhone 13 Pro is set to auto under settings, cellular, cellular data options, voice and data: 5G Auto. supposedly that saves battery over 5G On.

Whaddya think? :)

If you have Verizon wireless, have you ever seen a UW next to your 5G icon, preferably iPhone, but any phone?

I have never seen it, not even in downtown Center City Philly. Also side by side, my 4G phone is usually faster lol

Yes, my iPhone 13 Pro is set to auto under settings, cellular, cellular data options, voice and data: 5G Auto. supposedly that saves battery over 5G On.

Yep, I’ve seen 5G, 5Ge, and 5G UW.

Most incredible thing I’ve ever witnessed- sitting in IND airport at 5am, UW with pegged bars, my 14 Pro Max hit a D/L speed of 3,441 Mbps! That’s enough throughput to stream an entire BDubs’ worth of 4k TVs simultaneously!!
E1126888-1A90-4EAF-A754-AF039024BAB7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Most incredible thing I’ve ever witnessed- sitting in IND airport at 5am, UW with pegged bars, my 14 Pro Max hit a D/L speed of 3,441 Mbps! That’s enough throughput to stream an entire BDubs’ worth of 4k TVs simultaneously!!
:ROFLMAO: wow, 3,441. I saw 70 down and around 10 up at my house, which I thought was good. But then I compared it to the Xs which is 4G, and it was even faster lol

They all have a standard 5g and higher.
For T-Mobile it’s 5g UC
Verizon 5g UW

Verizon is on a Rapid pace rolling out C-Band you’ll start seeing 5G UW in more places next year .

I am seeing it in more places. More places I wouldn’t expect.

However, I’m not a fan. Unless the bars are pegged it is incredibly lackluster.

View attachment 129582
These speeds aren't achievable on C-band. This is MM wave.

I was playing with my phone around a MM Wave antenna one day while downtown Chicago. It's cool to get 2-3Gb/s down, but just move 50' away from the antenna or put a sign between you and the antenna and the download speed dies. Frankly, I don't really understand the point, as MM wave only seems to be practical in extremely high density areas with clear line of sight, like stadiums. Even then, it takes dozens or hundreds of antenna to fill an NFL stadium with reliable MM wave.

C-band has much better reach than MM wave, but I've found you can have 4 bars with C-band getting good download speeds of 200-300Mb/s, but there are trees between you and the tower and your upload is < 50kb/s or times out. I'd prefer to be served by 700Mhz spectrum and get great coverage. I haven't found any way on my iPhone to turn off the higher frequency spectrum.

Ultra wide band very fast but very short range. You will see it in ball stadiums , downtown areas, arenas, places where there are a lot of people in a small area.

I have Verizon and I have never seen my iPhone 13 Pro switch to ‘UW’. I live in a small city and we have mmWave ‘towers’ everywhere, on a bunch of utility poles. I can stand directly under one and my phone will never switch to the mmWave band. Maybe my plan doesn’t support it?

Verizon is on a Rapid pace rolling out C-Band you’ll start seeing 5G UW in more places next year .
Interesting on their map, my residence is all 5G UW, solid red, so as we learned with LTE, the map is no truthful. But, it does seem that much of Center City phila is the normal 5G, per the map.

Verizon is still playing catch up with 5g compared to TMobile so if you're not seeing 5g Verizon yet, you should be seeing it in the next year I would guess. Of course it also depends on areas, all networks are stronger in some areas and less in others.

Biggest downside is now you'll lose good 5G coverage.
I'm in the business and don't see the downside of not having 5G for my personal phone. LTE Advanced is just fine and has much better coverage, unless the tower density doubles for midband, which isn't going to happen. In all fairness, lower frequencies like the 700Mhz spectrum are also used with 5G NR(new radio), which is true 5G and has the same coverage as LTE with the same frequencies, but to avoid the irritation of stalled browser sessions as you move away from C-Band, I'll just stick with LTE, thanks.

I'm in the business and don't see the downside of not having 5G for my personal phone. LTE Advanced is just fine and has much better coverage, unless the tower density doubles for midband, which isn't going to happen. In all fairness, lower frequencies like the 700Mhz spectrum are also used with 5G NR(new radio), which is true 5G and has the same coverage as LTE with the same frequencies, but to avoid the irritation of stalled browser sessions as you move away from C-Band, I'll just stick with LTE, thanks.
Good points.

I might turn that off just to see how it goes. I don't usually need the speed.

Back