(.59 Cent) Chevron 5W-20.... 7,470 mi. Honda 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you are into additives, but I wonder if LC20 would help keep the TBN up a little longer. It is marketed as such, and it is very inexpensive.

I've used the Chevron oil in my Tundra and it did really well, but even at 2000 miles it was at a TBN of a little over 3 (using blackstones TBN method). I am not sure if this oil could make 10K though even with the LC20

Buster,

I know I could do an exotic $7 motor oil but your missing the point, my suject begins with ".59 Cent"..part of the attraction to this model car is the value, and not just resale or the top notch drivability but also the matainence costs of tires brakes and yes, fluids. I'm a sales guy on commission ringing out every dollar so the $30 for this UOA gave me a threshold for OCI..aprox 8k is a good value for me with a .59 cent motor oil as now I'll expect no oil issues for +250k on this engine. Tires will be another story, man, I need good long range tires that stick.

BTW: Buster I run Amsoil MCV 20W-50 cut 50% with Delvac1 5W-40 in my VTX 1300R, so I do get weird about motor oil, just selectively.

BTW: Today I did send B/S the virgin Chevron 5W-20 SM used in this UOA, I'll post that result right here.

If you're planning on keeping this car and put that many miles on it, use a better oil and run it 10k miles. Why chance it using a $.59 oil and potentially dirty up the engine? So use Amsoil 5w-20 for $4/change. If you're concerned about getting the most value, then try MC or Havoline...both of those are about $2-$3qt.

Use a better oil? Are you kidding? Based upon what I've seen here what makes "MC or havoline" better than Chevron?? Buster Chevron IS one of the better oils, regardless of cost.

Buick, I'm using Havoline 5w-20 now. I think they are both excellent but I do realize that they have a limit of about 7k miles. $.59qt and getting 5k miles out of it would be his best be IMO. You'd have a decent TBN. That would be a great value.

The Havoline 5-20 post just above hit 2.0 TBN in 4800 miles of high mileage driving. So it looks like Chevron Havoline add packs are being used up between 5-7500 miles. I use this oil in that mileage range but with the possible coolant
leak I'd run a 3K OCI and test again.

I would change the oil (all 4 quarts of it) every 8K or so and the filter every 2nd oil change (i.e. @ 16K)...

Go ahead: $PLURGE on an extra 8 quarts of $0.59 oil and an additional filter every 80,000 miles!

doubleshockpower, I agree, no point to running high buck synthetic here, but I think I wouldn't run longer until you check out that sodium thing. It doesn't take a lot of antifreeze to show up like that, so don't count on just looking at the overflow. UOA shows this earlier then that, that's the point. I've had double digit sodium in my cars with little wear too. I think credit goes to the good oil and a good engine.

If this was a GM car the haters would be in here waist deep. If you don't believe me see my post.

Well, now I don't know what to think that the VOA came back from BlackStone...Can Blackstone make errors like this?

GREG: This sample of virgin Chevron SM 5W/20 did not contain any sodium or potassium. So, we
have to conclude that your Honda engine is experiencing some anti-freeze leaking into the oil.
However, as we told you in our last report (C-85165) since wear metals were low, it is okay to operate
the engine. However, you should continue to monitor wear metals, potassium and sodium. If they
increase in future samples, then corrective action will be necessary. We suggest shorter oil change
intervals to keep wear metals low in your 4-cylinder.

Chevron 5W-20 SM

VOA/AVG.

Aluminum 3/1
Chromium 0/0
Iron 0/1
Copper 0/0
Lead 0/0
Tin 0/0
Moly 306/74
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 0/0
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/0
Boron 48/39
Silicon 3/3
Calcium 1270/1643
Magnesium 2/69
Phosphorus 468/583
Zinc 581/699
Barium 0/0

sus vic 52.2
flash 400.00
insol 0.00
water 0.00

I am curious to know why you are trying to save so much money on oil, paying for an OA and experimenting with the life of your engine.

Would not it be easier to change this cheap ________ at 5K and be done with it?

Do you like Las Vegas?

46,500 mi. now and the coolant kept perfect level, nothing ever added. I've been thinking that BlackStone must have screwed-up or mixed it up with another UOA which casts doubt on the whole effort or the HondaGenuine 5W-20 from the previous fill and the fact that I didn't change the filter out, left oil that contained the sodium. What a PIA wished I never sent it in.

Double Shock Power said:

Quote:

I'm a sales guy on commission ringing out every dollar

Ok. Then you are using your car for business, in which you can pretty much write-off every expense. Especially for maintenance.

Then DSP said:

"I want to use 59 cent Chevron for 8,000 OCI's. I also paid $30 for this UOA so that I would have a baseline."

Then DSP said:

Quote:

What a PIA wished I never sent it in.

Well. You certainly should have asked them for a re-try for nothing.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. You appear to say that you are a salesman and interested in watching every penny. But then you say that you dumped a decent older Accord because "you didn't like to look at it anymore." Plus, you choose to run some very robust dino oil bought at a bargain, but can't break the piggy bank to buy a $4 high-quality filter to change out every 8,000 miles.

Sorry, but IMO, you aren't doing a good job of maintaining this nice vehicle. I would run 6-7,000 mile OCI's on the Chevron with a filter change each time. Your 60/40 hwy/city is NOT a good enough ratio to justify getting closer to the "normal" Honda reccomended 10k mile OCI.

Honda builds some darn fine engines and knows how to maintain them, but even people with the new OLM in the Accords and doing a great amount of highway miles see the light coming on at or before 8,000 miles. And I just don't agree with skipping a filter change.

Too bad. I bet many here would have loved to see you do a couple more UOA on the Chevron with a filter change doing some 7,000 mile OCI's on the 2.4L.

Quote:

46,500 mi. now and the coolant kept perfect level, nothing ever added. I've been thinking that BlackStone must have screwed-up or mixed it up with another UOA which casts doubt on the whole effort or the HondaGenuine 5W-20 from the previous fill and the fact that I didn't change the filter out, left oil that contained the sodium. What a PIA wished I never sent it in.

Even if you changed the filter, it would still have leftover Sodium. Honda Genuine (ExxonMobil) contains a sodium additive. It will take several oil changes for the sodium reading to drop down to near 0.

Uncle Sam gives so much per mile regardless of OCI or price per qt. LMAO!! He doesn't even care if you drive a Hummer or an Accord...same write-off.

If a shorter OCI wasn't suguested based on this low wear UOA at 7,500 mi. why would anyone shorten it even further?..I see some of these nit-wits buying $6.00 synthetic and changing it out every 2,700 mi.? ________ is that?

This last post probably has it right, the sodium was from the last fill and I used that same filter so even more old oil was left in there. I'll do a search and see if the old HondaGenuine SL 5W-20 contained sodium, in fact I did a UOA on my wifes CRV with that same oil @6k (short cold trips).

The point is this Accord uses no coolant, none. The B/S UOA came out fine except for the stupid sodium mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back