'55 Buick Roadmaster: What to use for oil-bath air cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys-

(If this is in the wrong forum, move it to the filtration forum).

I'm in the process of tuning up my father's '55 Buick RoadMaster. I will be using Rotella 15w-40 as the engine oil, and an OEM cartridge oil filter. I'm not familiar with oil-bath air cleaners. The one on the car has about a 1/4" of oil on the bottom of it, and it looks like it was never changed. Any idea on what type of oil to use for this? I was guessing something lightweight like a 0-20, or maybe a straight weight 30?? Any help is appreciated....

-Mike P

[ December 19, 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Tyrolkid ]

SAE 30 unless you will be driving in freezing temps then a 10 0r 20 weight oil should be ok.

Les

cool.gif
Put a K&N in it.
lol.gif

Tyrolkid,
As the other posters mention, most anything would do. I have an oil bath air filter in my Land Rover and I just filled it up to the level with whatever was lying around...I think there's syntec 5w50 in there right now...I just used an old 1/2 quart container off the shelf...
Bogatyr

Actually the thinner the oil, the better it is for performance. Thick oil adds to the resistance of these actually very restricitve filters. I would use soemthing really thin like 5wt or 10wt race oil. Not a multi grade. Even light suspension oil would be good.

I believe Buick Division originally recommended straight 30 weight year 'round for that year (and probably earlier). As late as 1982, Peugeot was still using an oil bath system for their 2.2 liter diesel in the 505. That company also recommended 30 weight, 20 weight at temps lower than 20 degrees F.

It dosen't matter that much. Oil bath filters are "inertial" types, where the air changes direction and the particles keep going straight (into the oil). The oil simply traps them. Just about any oil will work.

I'd use some of that Redline 5w-40 synthetic you run in your VW's ...It will make the air filter, oil bath housing easy to clean and will suspend all the dirt that it catches ....

The Redline will also not evaporate out of the housing, if you don't check this thing for six months at a time ....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back