52k mile, 8 year old Volvo OE (Mahle?) fuel filter cut open.

I swapped in a new fuel filter on a 2000 model year Volvo I bought recently. For giggles, I cut open the (presumably) original filter. I am fairly certain this was the original filter. (corrected below!) Nothing dramatic. It was easy to pull the inlet end off after cutting it open. The outlet side was glued (or retained somehow) VERY strongly and I couldn't twist or pull it off, or hammer it off with a screwdriver down the outlet pipe. Good to know.

Any furry debris in the pleats is likely where I nicked the material cutting it open. I went around it carefully w/a reciprocating saw as it was the most convenient method to hand. Obviously some metal debris, too. Deformations in the pleats are from me trying to twist the cartridge out of the canister prior to the photos.

Wee bit of rusty looking fine particles in the valley of the pleats, that's about it. Car built late 99, 21 y.o., 117k, 2.4l low pressure turbo 5.

IMG-3310.jpg

IMG-3311.jpg

IMG-3312.jpg

Replacement filter in "Swedish Racing Green:"

IMG-3306.jpg

IMG-3190.jpg

Last edited:
the 13w08 on the filter is a Volvo standard date code, 8th week of 2013, so that is a replacement filter. Original filter would have been a 9142658

the 13w08 on the filter is a Volvo standard date code, 8th week of 2013, so that is a replacement filter. Original filter would have been a 9142658

Thanks and I corrected it. The timing belt was done in 2013 at ~65k, so that must have been when it was done.

The PS and AT fluid where so terrible I estimated them as original; and "guessed" that the filter was, too. I've never seen a car "wake up" so much to an AT fluid swap before - almost as big a difference as when I replaced the non-functioning turbo control valve/boost solenoid.

Back