52-050-02 yellow cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kohler filter from my 25 HP craftsman mower. I change them once a year (30-40 hours). Oil was Mobil super 10W-30. I'm sure it did it's job fine, but looks like it was constructed quite a bit cheaper than the black painted filter with the same part #.
1693va9.jpg

15cfwa1.jpg

2gxin2q.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
looks like an e-core.. The are cheap looking.

Maybe, but they still perform well.

I had already bought another kohler before opening this one up and will use it this upcoming season, but I believe I will give the Wix a try next year.

If you can fit it, an FL-400, Fram 3600, or Purolator 20195 is a third longer, same price as FL-910, or Fram 3614.

Appears the newer Kohler yellow can has contracted to ecore now, and like many of the OPE applications it's more expensive than the equivalent automotive application. Even Kohler OEM black can made in India that came with my ride on appeared higher quality and no combo valve. The one pictured shows as ~8.50-10.00 online price from Amazon etc. Pass.

Always less expensive and likely superior quality to go with the equivalent automotive application. I use the Napa Gold 1348 instead now. And no chintzy combo valve used, rather a separate metal bypass and adbv. Same goes for Purolator 10241 series and Fram 3614 series. Take your pick.

Of course if one still just prefers ecore construction with a combo valve for whatever reason, just pick up an STP S3614, ~$3.60 every day at AZ. In all likelihood except for can color, exact same filter.

Thanks for the pics.

Basic ecore design, so as sayjac mentioned, there's no need to pay a premium for the name.

I have no problem with the ecore design if the pleats are tight, even and a plenty. If not, the design is a liability. So if you have xray vision and can inspect the media before you spin it on then it's a good filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
looks like an e-core..

Looks like the old SuperTech oil filter design & construction with the very thin fiber end cap - where you can see the pleat ends pattern through the cap. What's weird in the photo is that top end caps looks thinner than the bottom end cap, and almost a different color/material. Hard to decipher photos sometimes.

A budget ecore sold at a premium price, shame on them!

I have a disdain for ecores but I doubt media blow outs would occur at mower pressures.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Of course if one still just prefers ecore construction with a combo valve for whatever reason, just pick up an STP S3614, ~$3.60 every day at AZ. In all likelihood except for can color, exact same filter.

Thanks for the pics.

And I just used an STP 3600 on my lawn tractor, with a quart of NAPA 5W-30 and a quart of 10W-30, full synthetic, $3.79 until end of February 2015...

I actually had to use 64 ounces instead of 56, longer filter used 8 more ounces..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back