50w Syntec vs 50w Mobil 1, my mechanic says M1 burns off faster directly compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the Quality Assurance field, and there are some popular sayings in our field:

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

"In God we trust. All others send data."

quote:

Personally I would trust my $14.00 oil analysis report more than any mechanic that I've ever met.

Joey [/QB]

Maybe you guys missed it, but the test was to monitor oil consumption with 2 different oils. It's over and the conclusion is M1 burns away. Anyone have empirical data to suggest otherwise?

The misconception about needing 50W oil in your VW or Audi is spread all over VAG owners and mechanics.VW states in their manuals that using 5W-30 oil in hot weather and high speed driving will result in engine damage. So everybody assumes they need the thickest oil possible. It's weird cause all the Euro oil companies reccomend 5W-50 or 10w-40 even for older VAG cars. The cars have some strange lifters too which have a tendency to tick with thinner oil. The problem is with the VAG engines which run hot and probably cook off the oil. VW and Audi owners who lower the engine temps have no problem with oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back