50K OCI on late model BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
smile.gif

Yeah, obviously he didn't even bother bringing it for the free service. I swear, some people should not be owning cars. Finding that well-maintained used 330ci I always wanted is going to be a quite a task...

The mechanic who posted those pics was asked not to perform any other sevice than the oil change.

This is in no way BMW's fault at all.

It is getting harder to find well maintained late model BMWs because of the lack of "proper" care. The so called free service has actually,IMO,kept BMWs from being maintained properly because of unrealistic service intervals from BMW.

Actually, I think that many late model cars suffer the same/similar problem of poor care by owners for multiple reasons.

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
It is getting harder to find well maintained late model BMWs because of the lack of "proper" care. The so called free service has actually,IMO,kept BMWs from being maintained properly because of unrealistic service intervals from BMW.

Actually, I think that many late model cars suffer the same/similar problem of poor care by owners for multiple reasons.

I don't think all the owners who actually follow the BMW OLM and or get the recommended yearly oil change suffer the fate of sludge.

I just bought a used 03 325i wagon(26k)that looks utterly new where the only oil changes were with the BMW OLM/BMW 5W30 and it is sparkling clean under the oil cap.Really the just assembled look!Man,the BMW 5W30 OEM oil is not a bad product at all!

Surfing in the BMW boards i've seen other late model 3 and 5 series look pretty clean under the baffle with just the normal OLM/BMW 5W30 changes.BMW does recommed the oil be changed regardless yearly.
I think the ones with trouble may have some other issues besides oil like gross owner negligence.

I also see many also opting to change the oil at the middle of the 15K interval also which seems wise.

The lead post in this thread reminds me of the marketing vice-president at TRW who bought a new Audi in the early 1980s. He evidently thought "no tuneups for the first 20k miles" also meant "no oil changes." Anyway, by about the 18k or 19k mile mark, his engine was toast.

Yes thats what we do with our 2003 530i Sport. I change it mid interval, since the average OCIs are about 15,000 miles. I figure its cheap insurance....

"To top that off the guy is a lawyer."

for some strange reason the tech acts surprised at this, LOL
some of us would say that is the root cause

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
Yes, it is well known that lawyers are simple-minded idiots compared to the rest of us.

I understand fully where this comment is coming from, but I have to say, not quite. Since I have to actually on occasion spend time with my colleagues, I have a different take. Some of these guys, especially the ones who, unlike me, went directly to law school from college, become so impressed with their own perception of their abilities that their thinking becomes sort of circular. If it does not occur to this guy to get his oil changed, it must not really be necessary since he did not think of it. From my point of view, this sort of infuriating circular self-delusion seems to infect about a third of lawyers (and is probably a large part of why we're so "popular").

Of course when this sort of thing happens, it's
a delicious form of justice, served hot and gooey over an irresistable block of finely machined aluminum.

If I did this to one of my engines, I'd feel compelled to sue myself -- and then default. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back