508 VW oil

My wife’s 120k 2018 Tiguan low oil level indicator illuminated. Apparently it consumed 1 qt of oil in 9200 miles.

I tossed under quart of 5w30 SuperTech Synthetic to shut off low oil indicator as we changing oil in next week or so. There is no warranty obviously but curious if using non 508 oil matters except for maybe that long interval it seems to go?

No API phos limit with VW 508, or maybe its higher(remember its development vaguely).

I wouldn't push the interval or dipstick neglect, unless the plan is to unload the vehicle soon. Consumption can cascade into numerous problems, like sludge or accelerated wear rates. Top it off often and keep it full!

My very 1st oil change on my VW 1.4T used Rotella 5w30 truck/suv red bottle, with a bottle of lubegard biotech. Ran great! Noticed that engine was quieter with the 30 grade. I don't have any oil consumption and still check dipstick weekly. Never wait for idiot reminder lights on the dash for anything. Currently running a quart of 40 grade with the rest 508.

For top off, wouldn't worry about it at all as long as oil is full synthetic. But even in an emergency, any conventional is better than low oil if you have to keep moving.

Nope. you could probably run that regular oil full time and still get to that mileage with the same wear but only if you change more frequently. But if i owned that Tiguan I'd change a bit more frequently to be safe since I'm turbo paranoid. So after 120k miles how's it been. You drive a lot at 25-30k a year.

I believe the manual says you can top up with any API SP.

You really don't want to run these engines out the full 10k unless it's a lease or something.

For the last four years I checked oil every 1k-2k miles and absolutely no consumption. Of course this last interval I did not check and find it’s a quart low. Moving forward will likely just use the 5w30 supertech synth as topping oil .

Wife drives 70 miles round trip commuting 4-5 days per week.

might be interesting to do a UOA.
Not a fan of "extended" drains on a turbo gdi.

The vw 508spec is pretty strong.

my 2 cents. I'd dial it back a little. maybe 8000 miles max for your wife's commute.

Back