502.00 vs. "Modern" GM specifications

Just because the standard was not relaxed does not mean one does not perform better than the other, just that they both meet a given minimum
Point is, I don't think one should be concerned about D1G3 having a lower wear standard than D1G2.

"NOTE: the relative performance of the dexos® 1 Gen 3 wear specification is ranked slightly lower than dexos® 1 Gen 2 since GM removed an engine test (RNT) and replaced it with a bench test (MTM). Generally, an engine test is a better method of evaluating performance. The specification does still utilize the Sequence IVB wear test, which is also part of the API and ILSAC specifications. "

Point is, I don't think one should be concerned about D1G3 having a lower wear standard than D1G2.

"NOTE: the relative performance of the dexos® 1 Gen 3 wear specification is ranked slightly lower than dexos® 1 Gen 2 since GM removed an engine test (RNT) and replaced it with a bench test (MTM). Generally, an engine test is a better method of evaluating performance. The specification does still utilize the Sequence IVB wear test, which is also part of the API and ILSAC specifications. "

Maybe I’d put more faith in their statement if dexos licensing wasn’t a pure profit stream for GM. There’s plenty of more stringent & applicable existing tests available than proprietary stuff. Not arguing with you, just pointing out how myopic GM is. 👍🏻

Back