50 year old shotgun shells

Helping a friend clean out his mother's house came across 6 boxes of 12 ga dove and quail in a uncovered bucket. Their plastic sure their lead shot what should i do with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should be fine if they were stored in a place that wasn't really damp. Especially being plastic hulled. I'd shoot them if the brass wasn't corroded. About 20 years ago, my dad and I shot a large quantity of paper hulled shells that were 40 or more years old at the time. They had seen dry storage and all worked. Today, those paper hulled shells would be "collector" ammo.

One of three things.. It will function normally, it will have a slow burn and get stuck in the barrel (easy to get the wad out), or it'll click.
Are they not in a box? Some shops will give a few bucks if the box is mint.

My cousin had a 50 year old Remington 12ga. It would fire anything that would fit. Was very effective on one year old South Dakota pheasants.

1648419710148.jpg

When I was a young lad my dad sent me the local Western Auto for some 12 ga no 6 shot. I did not question what the salesman gave me but when I got home my dad found they were plastic hulled Remington. He threw a fit and went back to the store and got his money back. He went to another store and bought paper hulled. Only paper shells for him but I think within two years plastic was all you could find. I have shot plenty of shells that were 20-25 years old with no problems.

My friend has an old rental house. The old renter lady died. They were cleaning it up and he had an old box full of six 25 boxes of #4 and #6 shot. Old boxes of Yellow Peters, and Red Remington. A 500 hundred brick of Hi-Power .22 Long Rifles. Plus some old Hoppes #9 and other assorted lubricants and stuff. Said he was going to offer them for another guy, that likes that kind of stuff, for $40.

The old boxes and crap would probably bring $40 empty. The 500 round brick of .22 would bring $40, these days!

I peeled $40 of my wallet, and took those treasures home. I have one of those old barrister bookcases for display. Stackable Lawyer bookcase, by any other names. Antique and five stacked on each other. Cool as heck.

I know Max needs to move his fingers outside the trigger guard.

If we did that in the army, we would quickly get a RSM sized boot in the rear.
Yes!
I converted one of those shotguns when I was 16 years old. Lived in the country and it was the beginning of my gunsmithing journey.

Did it as a project and not as a anything sinister. Well several years later here comes Mad Max and my older brother was hooked on it. I actually think he thought he was MM...

He did local charity events dressed as him for years. But he wanted my gun and by that time it had its bores welded shut with steel slugs and no firing pins. He successfully used it for many years but at one event it was confiscated and the ATF payed us a little visit.

Sort of like the political games. When was it welded and what was done first and the good cop bad cop routine.. In the end thankfully a warning was issued only and of course they kept the gun.
But the ATF agent told me I found my career.

He said he had confiscated many but none to the quality of mine..
But he warned no more of that...lol

I still have a picture of it and myself but figured it may get deleted.
I had two older brothers and we all became FFL dealers and so on.
Our parents were anti gun and had no idea of what was what...yeah not good...lol

In the end my brother made a new shotgun...this time duplicated in wood only.

@Zee09

I always assumed they were more for looks than anything. A Hollywood gun.

A coach gun would be more legal and more effective, and I'm sure easier to control with less recoil and less muzzle blast.

Last edited:
@Zee09
What were they like to shoot?

I would assume significant recoil and a lot of muzzle blast.
You are right but very controllable if held correctly. The first time I shot it I pulled both triggers.
My con artist brother talked me into it. He was a bit sheepish (lol) Have your hand safely on the top of the barrels though.
They were 11" barrels.
Frequently you will get your fingers jammed up in the trigger and guard though- that can hurt.
The folly of youth-I have done worse.

Reactions: SR5
@Zee09

I always assumed they were more for looks than anything. A Hollywood gun.

A coach gun would be more legal and more effective, and I'm sure easier to control with less recoil and less muzzle blast.
The ATF agent told me then most were those cheap crappy single barrels they got for about nothing.
Basically junk with poor workmanship. Ours was a 12GA pistol grip model.
My brother hand made a holster for it with his costume - that was cool.

Reactions: SR5
Back