50 Mile Maverick Hybrid Trip today.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Finally had a chance to take a decent drive today by myself. It was a beautiful day for a drive in the MIssouri River bottom on State Hwy 210 east of Kansas City Metro. This is a very flat road for about 35 mi with a 60 mph speed limit. There was the usual 20-30 mph Spring wind hitting me at about 4 o'clock. With the CC set at 62mph the Instant MPG meter was showing between 35-40 MPG for this 15 mile segment of the drive. Next section was a rural lettered state road for 10 miles. Lots of 45-55 mph smooth blacktop with a few nice sweepers for the 1st half of this section. The MPG with a tailwind on this section showed a lot of Electric only use, probably about half. The 2nd half of this 10 mile section of rural road is up down and all around. The third leg of the trip back home was a few miles of 60mph driving into the headwind. It was showing 33-40 mpg depending of angle into the wind and my speed. The last 13 miles back to home was divided into a 6 mile 35 mph slog through small bergs. The last few miles were again a state lettered route with a 55 mph with lots of hills and curves (fun curves) This section of my drive probably averaged 50+Mpg.

Driving dynamics were better than expected. On long constant radius curves it takes a nice set and needs little correction to maintain it path. If you give it some throttle in the curve it understeers somewhere between lightly and moderately. The Maverick tracks well. Seem less affected by grooves in the pavement than the Venza. The biggest surprise is when I had a steep climb at about 35 mph, on a somewhat washboarded road. I have driven this hills on this stretch of road for 26 yrs in various vehicles and this went through the ripples as smooth as the best in the past. It will corner aggressively if you desire but than brings on some moderate body lean. A sports car it is not but drives nice.

The later half of the drive it got hot on the dark blue dash when driving into the sun. The A/C worked very well when set at 65F. Just used the simple ECON mode today and it chilled off quickly. In comparison to the Venza it runs more in EV mode probably 25% more.

The power 8-way drivers seats is easy to get comfortable in. The controls work well and make fine adjustments easily if you want. The cushion is just a touch short, but the Venza was about the same. In 2 days I am more comfortable with the Ford tech than the Toyota Tech in 6 months. It is just more Logical 🖖 I would have no qualms about long tripping in the Maverick

Some eye candy from after the drive, for the frugal folks on BITOG
20220427_125523.jpg

Love the review. Just heard from my mom tonight that they actually built hers and it's being shipped this week. Granted, she ordered an Ecoboost with the 4K tow, but she needed it for a different purpose and in the winters she needs the AWD.

Ford can produce very high quality hybrid systems when they try. Let’s just hope they don’t put a logic bomb into the programming like they did with the 2010-2012 Fusion hybrids.

For those unaware, Ford had programmed the Fusion, Milan, and MKZ hybrids to no longer operate as hybrids once the battery packs hit ten years of age. They finally caved to growing pressure from the owners and released a TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174404-0001.pdf)
that we had to pay to get applied to our vehicles if we want them to become hybrids again.

Good review. Nice to see a temp gauge. The mpg is totally accurate to .1 mpg just as it reads. It measures the distance and the fuel used. Does it have an EV setting to enable short distances keeping the engine off? How about lifetime mpg? My Volt had the mpg with the total mileage from the day the car was built. It always was there with the odo reading. The exact distance divided by the exact gallons used from new.

Last edited:
I never owned a pick up truck in 35 years of driving, but this Maverick hybrid is only one that got me thinking that I can be a truck owner with versatility without sacrificing fuel mileage. If other car makers can come up with something similar, bring them on. I shall wait until the price craziness subsides before committing.

Would you say that a gent 6'4'' tall and about 240lbs will have trouble fitting in the cab?

Seen a few in person never sat in one.

Seems like the cabin roof is quite high so headroom is not a problem but how about leg room.

Good review. Nice to see a temp gauge. The mpg is totally accurate to .1 mpg just as it reads. It measures the distance and the fuel used. Does it have an EV setting to enable short distances keeping the engine off? How about lifetime mpg? My Volt had the mpg with the total mileage from the day the car was built. It always was there with the odo reading. The exact distance divided by the exact gallons used from new.
I've never owned a brand or model where dividing miles on odometer into gallons filled is within 2mpgs of what the car readout says. My Corolla is off consistently 2mpgs from what the car says (car is optimistic). My wife's Subaru is about the same.

I've never owned a brand or model where dividing miles on odometer into gallons filled is within 2mpgs of what the car readout says. My Corolla is off consistently 2mpgs from what the car says (car is optimistic). My wife's Subaru is about the same.
Gallons filled is the rough part. The total gallons the car says over a long long period versus gas pumping would even the errors of the gas pump filling process out. There is no way to compare the 171 mile trip at 44.6 mpg with a gas pump reading on that trip. So it will never be shown 44.6 is not correct. Gas pump is too crude on the fill up process for less than four gallons. But everyone can think what they like, there certainly are bigger things to think about.

If the Maverick display is like the fuel mileage display in other vehicles, it is an "instantaneous mileage" calculated from fuel use in the previous few seconds compared with road speed. It is usually not based on a whole tank of fuel. In various Mazdas I've driven, the displayed fuel economy varies wildly depending on any slight uphill or downhill grade, acceleration, slowing, etc., and updates every couple of seconds.

Be nice if new vehicles had M.P.G. calibration for the display . Not everyone has the same driving habits . Have every other settings such as lane keep , etc.. . Did use 2 ECO-METER by Autometer for previous cars without m.p.g. display , very easy to calibrate . They sit in the closet . Were very close to calculated , takes fine tuning the Eco-Meter .

If the Maverick display is like the fuel mileage display in other vehicles, it is an "instantaneous mileage" calculated from fuel use in the previous few seconds compared with road speed. It is usually not based on a whole tank of fuel. In various Mazdas I've driven, the displayed fuel economy varies wildly depending on any slight uphill or downhill grade, acceleration, slowing, etc., and updates every couple of seconds.
My Toyota and Subaru have instantaneous and long term average. We keep them on long term average. Whether it's 44.6 or 40.6 or 48.6, still fairly impressive for a commuter crossover truck, or whatever they're being labeled.

Gallons filled is the rough part. The total gallons the car says over a long long period versus gas pumping would even the errors of the gas pump filling process out. There is no way to compare the 171 mile trip at 44.6 mpg with a gas pump reading on that trip. So it will never be shown 44.6 is not correct. Gas pump is too crude on the fill up process for less than four gallons. But everyone can think what they like, there certainly are bigger things to think about.
Yes, I'm saying over years of filling up it's never been closer than about 2mpgs on our Toyota and Subaru. I check every time I fill. And I fill near empty tanks almost every week. I've heard people say the same for their brands. So I'd venture 44.6 is more like 40-42, which is still pretty solid. And your assumption that because we can't prove it false makes it true is interesting. But, true, bigger things to think about. 42, 44, 46, solid readout mileage that's probably within 5% of "accurate".

Anyone know what the EPA mileage sticker says for them?

There’s a gray/blue colored one that is always in the Lowes parking lot in town and I must say, it’s a nice looking vehicle in person. I’m not a Ford person, but I think this is a great addition to their lineup. Hopefully any teething problems will be minimal and it works out for them and their customers. I look forward to future updates. Cheers! 🍻

Averaging 45-46 mpg on the display, since early March. I have the hybrid Lariat Maverick. My driving is 70% city.

I had a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid with the same 2.5L, 4 cylinder engine as this Maverick. Put about 210,000 miles on it, and found it to be as “bulletproof” as any comparable Toyota or Honda 4 cylinder engine.

The first manufacturer that offers an EV or plug in compact pickup, is going to have a decided advantage over the rest of pack. Toyota got caught “napping” this time. They offer the Prius Prime drivetrain, but not the compact pickup.

Yes, I'm saying over years of filling up it's never been closer than about 2mpgs on our Toyota and Subaru. I check every time I fill. And I fill near empty tanks almost every week. I've heard people say the same for their brands. So I'd venture 44.6 is more like 40-42, which is still pretty solid. And your assumption that because we can't prove it false makes it true is interesting. But, true, bigger things to think about. 42, 44, 46, solid readout mileage that's probably within 5% of "accurate".

Anyone know what the EPA mileage sticker says for them?
MPG display on my 2018 F-150 was usually 6-8% optimistic.

Back