5 year overdue oil filter removal

Car is a 2012 Toyota Camry 2.4 4cyl.

I’d call the oil black 😁
The oil wasn’t chunky at all though. It did just pour out like hot oil engine oil should. Didn’t notice any sludge or anything.

Oil filter, we’ll, no time for that right now. Will post up if and when I do cut it. And it’s a genuine Toyota one.

Haven’t driven the car yet so can’t comment on that. But, the air filter was pretty chockers with dirt, sticks, leaves, bugs. It wasn’t driving bad or rattling though but I imagine it would drive a little better now.

Car is a 2012 Toyota Camry 2.4 4cyl.

I’d call the oil black 😁
The oil wasn’t chunky at all though. It did just pour out like hot oil engine oil should. Didn’t notice any sludge or anything.

Oil filter, we’ll, no time for that right now. Will post up if and when I do cut it. And it’s a genuine Toyota one.

Haven’t driven the car yet so can’t comment on that. But, the air filter was pretty chockers with dirt, sticks, leaves, bugs. It wasn’t driving bad or rattling though but I imagine it would drive a little better now.
Don’t you with us. Cut and post the filter or send it to me and I’ll cut and post it.

Hit the camera icon and it’s an option to embed media. Don’t know what that is. Just want to take a photo and upload it.
Click the picture icon.
A1D1DAD4-B11A-46A5-8E92-70862EC20496.jpg

Bare in mind I have only ever owned Two cars my entire driving life and only one car (my wife's) in the last 35 years. The rest were 1 F150, 4 GM/GMC pickups, 2 more were GMC SUV's and the wife's current ride of the last 10 years is a Honda Pilot and now I just bought a new 2022 F150, so for me 99% of my oil changes take longer to position the vehicle get out my tools drain pan and creeper than to do the actual oil change. The way I have ALWAYS looked at oil changes are unless I am mistaken they are among fastest, easiest and cheapest form of preventive maintenance and among the most important.

Even running 100% synthetic oil in my new 2022 F150 I will never go longer then 5Km between oil changes and will still change my air filter every 7500m or 9 months. My F150 has the 5.0L Coyote Engine a 12.5:1 compression all aluminum block and heads engine so clean engine oil is a must.

I also do all the repairs and maintenance on my vehicles I can including tune ups brakes trans oil changes, issues with power windows water and fuel pumps etc. So I change the oil on all my vehicles every 3500 minimum and 4000 maximum. I buy my oil and filters buy the multiple case at a time and have on hand at least 2.5-3 years worth of filters and synthetic oil. If I could I'd buy my oil by the 25 gallon drum if I could find them.

I also change my Air filters every 7500 miles or once every 9 months which ever comes first. Again air filters are again IMO, to cheap fast and simple to change and much to important to not change this often. I also buy my air filters in bulk.

My synthetic oil of choice is either Pennzoil or Valvoline which ever I can get cheaper, but don't know if I'm a victim of myth but I never change oil types for a given vehicle so my vehicles run on either Valvoline or Pennzoil for their entire lifetime I own them. My filters have been Purolator one then Boss or Fram ultra but mostly Purolator.

The way I look at it is buying a single cheap smart cell phone alone not including cell service provider costs, costs more than 10 years worth of my oil changes for a single vehicle and my family has 4 of them so IMO to skimp on performing an extremely vital maintenance task to my vehicles just to save air filter change costs are negligible in comparison.

Bottom line IMO, you can not hurt your engine buy changing you oil and filter 1-2x a year more often then needed. The same can not be said of less frequent oil and filter changes.

Bare in mind I have only ever owned Two cars my entire driving life and only one car (my wife's) in the last 35 years. The rest were 1 F150, 4 GM/GMC pickups, 2 more were GMC SUV's and the wife's current ride of the last 10 years is a Honda Pilot and now I just bought a new 2022 F150, so for me 99% of my oil changes take longer to position the vehicle get out my tools drain pan and creeper than to do the actual oil change. The way I have ALWAYS looked at oil changes are unless I am mistaken they are among fastest, easiest and cheapest form of preventive maintenance and among the most important.

Even running 100% synthetic oil in my new 2022 F150 I will never go longer then 5Km between oil changes and will still change my air filter every 7500m or 9 months. My F150 has the 5.0L Coyote Engine a 12.5:1 compression all aluminum block and heads engine so clean engine oil is a must.

I also do all the repairs and maintenance on my vehicles I can including tune ups brakes trans oil changes, issues with power windows water and fuel pumps etc. So I change the oil on all my vehicles every 3500 minimum and 4000 maximum. I buy my oil and filters buy the multiple case at a time and have on hand at least 2.5-3 years worth of filters and synthetic oil. If I could I'd buy my oil by the 25 gallon drum if I could find them.

I also change my Air filters every 7500 miles or once every 9 months which ever comes first. Again air filters are again IMO, to cheap fast and simple to change and much to important to not change this often. I also buy my air filters in bulk.

My synthetic oil of choice is either Pennzoil or Valvoline which ever I can get cheaper, but don't know if I'm a victim of myth but I never change oil types for a given vehicle so my vehicles run on either Valvoline or Pennzoil for their entire lifetime I own them. My filters have been Purolator one then Boss or Fram ultra but mostly Purolator.

The way I look at it is buying a single cheap smart cell phone alone not including cell service provider costs, costs more than 10 years worth of my oil changes for a single vehicle and my family has 4 of them so IMO to skimp on performing an extremely vital maintenance task to my vehicles just to save air filter change costs are negligible in comparison.

Bottom line IMO, you can not hurt your engine buy changing you oil and filter 1-2x a year more often then needed. The same can not be said of less frequent oil and filter changes.
Air filter changes that frequent are highly unnecessary and most likely introducing more dirt into the engine than the specified interval.

Air filter changes that frequent are highly unnecessary and most likely introducing more dirt into the engine than the specified interval.

If you would be so kind, please educate me as to how this can occur, as I am confused to how a new 100% clean air filter can introduce more dirt into the engine than a less than clean used one.

If you would be so kind, please educate me as to how this can occur, as I am confused to how a new 100% clean air filter can introduce more dirt into the engine than a less than clean used one.
Every time the airbox is opened, there is a chance for dirt to enter. Air filters also get more efficient in use, up to the point of actually needing replaced.

Every time the airbox is opened, there is a chance for dirt to enter. Air filters also get more efficient in use, up to the point of actually needing replaced.
I was aware of the risk of dirt entering the air filter compartment that is why once I remove the AF I use a 100% clean rag to plug the intake opening then use a combination of my air compressor and shop Vac to clean out the compartment.
I however didn't know that AF's get more efficient with use.
Thanks for educating me.

Yes, air filters will typically get more efficient to a point as they load up.
Oil filters will typically become less efficient as they load up.
In both those cases, the degree of increased or decreased efficiency will depend on the design of the filtering media.

Last edited:
Back