5 year overdue oil filter removal

Tried with one of those grippy oil filter tools to no avail.
Now getting the metal one that goes on the base of the filter and use a ring spanner.
Fingers Crossed!

I remember once having to to cut away the canister and media, then use a punch and hammer to spin the baseplate free. Used the punch on the in holes and tap tap tap.
First attempt was a common steel strap filter wrench.
2nd attempt was a large screwdriver driven through the filter. It twisted up the sheet metal can.
Punch and hammer got it off.
No, not my car and decades ago.

Yeah, car was inherited from my partner’s ex. The service sticker says next service due Oct 2017 or 195k. It now has 270k 🤷‍♂️😂😂😂
So the oil and filter has 75,000 km on them ? :oops: Maybe it was services after the one with the sticker ... that long seems nuts. o_O

So the oil and filter has 75,000 km on them ? :oops: Maybe it was services after the one with the sticker ... that long seems nuts. o_O
Knowing him, I wouldn’t have been serviced and yes it is nuts. Put some nulon extreme engine flush through. There’s varnish when I look through the oil cap. The dipstick is stained brown. Never seen anything so bad!

Don’t know if any lasting damage but should be good now though. New oil, filter and air filter 👍

Now that it's off describe the oil which either poured our or had to be coaxed out.
Year, make and model of vehicle adds a 'real life' dimension to these tales.
Does the engine sound any better either when started or climbing hills?

Ha-ha. A friend's Ford 4.6l was clattering (long story) so I added 3 quarts of my old oil without telling him.
The improvement in sound and throttle response amazed him. Only then did I tell him what I had done.
"What kind of oil did you use?", was his question.
I said, "Whatever it was, it's better than the roofing tar and air you've been pumping for a month.
And it doesn't matter as you're going to change it now anyway!"

It's amazing what can stop people in their tracks....and the faces they make!

Knowing him, I wouldn’t have been serviced and yes it is nuts. Put some nulon extreme engine flush through. There’s varnish when I look through the oil cap. The dipstick is stained brown. Never seen anything so bad!

Don’t know if any lasting damage but should be good now though. New oil, filter and air filter 👍

Do you still have the old one? :unsure:

Cut it open :D

My father refused to do the filter and synthetic oil for 5 years because the truck only went a couple hundred miles a year

Filter became rusty had to use both a rubber strap wrench and a pliers to remove it, screwdriver through the can did nothing but rip

Back