5 days to charge a EV Humvee using wall outlet!

Responding to the fire danger, @dnewton3 points out how meaningless statistics can be without supporting information; the raw numbers do not tell the story. For example, if older ICE vehicles are included, it is not an apples-to-apples study, even though older cars are on the road.

Similarly, EV fire headlines sell a lotta newspapers. Sensationalism sells...

Reactions: Ws6
Responding to the fire danger, @dnewton3 points out how meaningless statistics can be without supporting information; the raw numbers do not tell the story. For example, if older ICE vehicles are included, it is not an apples-to-apples study, even though older cars are on the road.

Similarly, EV fire headlines sell a lotta newspapers. Sensationalism sells...

That's the thing, I'm sure it does include all cars, not just new ones, because you don't hear much about modern cars catching fire no matter what they're powered by.

Electric cars seem to be more a cult than a choice.. tesla owners seem to be on some sort of program to build a shrine. Tesla has been sitting on the same cars and poor quality build they had ten years ago..
The materials to make and keep replacing batteries are not good for the environment. And nobody seems to want a 6 to ten year old electric car. The battery capacity and extreme cost to replace batteries makes electric cars disposable like a cell phone..

Electric cars seem to be more a cult than a choice.. tesla owners seem to be on some sort of program to build a shrine. Tesla has been sitting on the same cars and poor quality build they had ten years ago..
The materials to make and keep replacing batteries are not good for the environment. And nobody seems to want a 6 to ten year old electric car. The battery capacity and extreme cost to replace batteries makes electric cars disposable like a cell phone..

Interesting take... Haven't heard that one before. You obviously haven't handled a 10 year old Tesla and a new one. It's pretty extreme. That said by 200,000 miles most cars are disposed of. At least the battery is recyclable from there. Many are going into Tesla Powerwalls and after they exhaust their life there, it will see recycling. There's too much value in the materials to trash it and like most modern powertrains the powertrain will in most cases outlive the rest of the car, especially the LPF battery cars. They have a 3,000 cycle battery.

Perhaps talk to a few owners and see why they like, or dislike, their cars. Tesla customer sat is off the charts. There is a reason for it.
A cult? Dunno... But owners do tend to be rabid about their smooth running electrics. I will buy another.

Perhaps talk to a few owners and see why they like, or dislike, their cars. Tesla customer sat is off the charts. There is a reason for it.
A cult? Dunno... But owners do tend to be rabid about their smooth running electrics. I will buy another.
If anything happens to my Tesla Model 3 I'd just buy another one. But maybe a red one next time. Black trim looks good on red.

I might even spring for a long range or a performance Model 3. Though I do like the handling of the lighter, real wheel drive Standard Range Plus.

Every brand regardless of powertrain has its own cult following. Yes, there are loud vocal EV fanboys, but the same also applies to Toyota, Audi, Dodge, Ford, etc etc, and they’re all equally annoying.

Now some EV people are Kwh shaming other EV people due to their wastefulness and excessive weight?
I know, it's really wierd. Its like I've never heard about something like economy car owners talking smack about 1 person driving an Escalade for a daily. Must be an ev thing...

The average EV owner is not stuck in a vehicle. They make 6 figures plus, and until just recently, the used car market was absurdly strong. Given that we have not been stuck in our EVs...why do you think we are so vocal about liking them, and continue to buy them? Are we trying to lure you to disappointment...or do we just like the mess out of them?

Most people don't, on average:

"Federal Highway Administration data from 2020 indicates motorists in the U.S. drive an average of 35 miles per day."

Yes but one must not draw conclusions that the average American takes his/her car on an average of 35 miles a day in trips.

1. Stats are from the height of Covid when barely anyone was on the road but not as much difference if you think about adding on up to 4 miles per day.

2. But here is the kicker, most data is compiled per year, how they are getting data per day is beyond me. Data per trip in this case would be more appropriate for the EV world. People who commute to work in a city via public transportation go zero miles per day but lets say you live on Long Island, take the LIRR into work everyday, your car sits all week long but then you go upstate NY to go go skiing in the mountains and your mileage for that trip far exceeds by hundreds of miles the "per day" statement.

3.This is a case of data being used incorrectly by stating averages per day. It's typically annual mileage. Another thing about averages its a poor measurement. Average miles driven in no way indicates the percentage of how many people drive for those miles per day. The Median is a more useful tool and very hard to find as median indicates half the amount of people drive for more miles and half below.

4. Averages are a poor use for figuring out what percentage of the population uses a vehicle before needing to charge an EV battery and I think useless, at the same time a very, very significant percent of the population can use an EV for commuting to and from work with ease but certainly not a ends all solution for a whole society built on battery operated cars for no reason at all but smoke and mirrors.

The average EV owner is not stuck in a vehicle. They make 6 figures plus, and until just recently, the used car market was absurdly strong. Given that we have not been stuck in our EVs...why do you think we are so vocal about liking them, and continue to buy them? Are we trying to lure you to disappointment...or do we just like the mess out of them?
Wow a whole 6 figure income? Ummmm... let's get off thinking that is a lot.

I think you paint too broad a brush for 6 figure income people which really isnt that much without a sold number of how much closer to the 7 figure mark. You cant live in most places of the country that I know of (population centers) with any less than 6 figures and need substantially more into it.

and second all good if you think buying a EV is a status symbol, not sure why though, everyday Americans travel the highways in trucks and SUVs in more far more comfort and convenance at refueling and purchase price is the same or higher.
So what is the purpose at this point other than an enthusiast vehicle? Nothing wrong with that to be clear. Another purpose would be performance, nothing wrong with that either. But to think anything more at this point, until the big manufacturers get into the game everything else is a compromise to many Americans but certainly there is a big market for EVs

Then ... there are defenders out there who seem to make everyone know how little they pay to charge their batteries than buy a gallon of gas.
Furthermore there are a heck of a lot more affluent people driving gasoline luxury vehicles than EVs and will continue too since it only takes 5 minutes to fill a tank of gas.

Last edited:
Wow a whole 6 figure income? Ummmm... let's get off thinking that is a lot.

I think you paint too broad a brush for 6 figure income people which really isnt all that much without a sold number in there. You cant live in most places of the country that I know of (population centers) with any less than 6 figures.

and second all good if you think buying a EV is a status symbol, not sure why though, everyday Americans travel the highways in trucks and SUVs in more far more comfort and at higher prices.

Then ... there are defenders out there who seem to make everyone know how little they pay to charge their batteries than buy a gallon of gas.
Furthermore there are a heck of a lot more affluent people driving gasoline luxury vehicles than EVs and will continue too since it only takes 5 minutes to fill a tank of gas.

No, 6 figures isn't a lot, but it's enough that you're not "trapped" in a $40-70K vehicle if you don't want to be. Even at the extreme lowest end of 6 figures. If it WERE, then you were not the brightest to have bought such a boat anchor on your income to begin with.

No, 6 figures isn't a lot, but it's enough that you're not "trapped" in a $40-70K vehicle if you don't want to be. Even at the extreme lowest end of 6 figures. If it WERE, then you were not the brightest to have bought such a boat anchor on your income to begin with.
This is always an interesting topic that @alarmguy has brought up here. The average FAMILY income for the city I live is $55,000 (which is lower than the Canadian average). Local politician got lambasted for forgetting how much she made (it was like $270,000) in a zoom meeting where she forgot to mute her mic. This, understandably, impacted her already pretty low popularity.

This actually doesn't track that much differently than in the US:
Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 4.37.34 PM.jpg

Canada:
11-627-m2022040-eng.jpg

This is always an interesting topic that @alarmguy has brought up here. The average FAMILY income for the city I live is $55,000 (which is lower than the Canadian average). Local politician got lambasted for forgetting how much she made (it was like $270,000) in a zoom meeting where she forgot to mute her mic. This, understandably, impacted her already pretty low popularity.

This actually doesn't track that much differently than in the US:
View attachment 136749

Canada:
11-627-m2022040-eng.jpg
Median income for my zipcode is $20k individual, 28 household.

I know, it's really wierd. Its like I've never heard about something like economy car owners talking smack about 1 person driving an Escalade for a daily. Must be an ev thing...

Wait, is that sarcasm or are you serious? 😂 Just curious because I've actually heard this stuff quite a bit years back. It's mostly transitioned into EVs towards large vehicles. Personally I'm just sick of loud lifted trucks. It's like a badge of honor to drive them like fools. I don't have a problem with the truck itself, it's the attitude behind the wheel as in whipping lane to lane, full throttle from every stoplight, speeding 15-20 over on city streets.

Before I piss everyone off(shocking I know) I don't mean all lifted truck drivers with tires sticking out of the wheel well drive like this, but it seems more do than don't.

Back