5 days to charge a EV Humvee using wall outlet!

Individual with a new EV Humvee demonstrates it will take from Sunday to Friday to charge his new SUV using the standard 110 wall outlet and the supplied charging cord. He shows the monitor will charge at 1 mile per hour and require 5 days for a full charge, and even that math only adds up to 120 miles. LOL You could walk to your destination faster.

See video and information at this link:

Within a week of taking delivery on my Prius Prime, I figured out that I could feed its EVSE 240/16 instead of 120/12. The actual charging circuitry is in the vehicle. I went from 3 MPH to 12 MPH charging, and it cost me less than $100 in electrical supplies including a new breaker!

level 1 is adequate if you are plugging in for free at work.
then you drive 25miles home and plug in.

Most people will want a 40 or 50amp 240v circuit.

Most people will want a 40 or 50amp 240v circuit.
That would be fine for the smaller EV's, but the new large EV's will need a 100a breaker. Very few houses and transformers can support this....in addition to existing power needs.

Gonna get me one of those electric BroDozers and plug it in! I really need to spend $100K on an assault vehicle to go to Safeway!

My ex-next door neighbors had 2 Hummers. Neither one fit in the garage, but they sure looked impressive sitting side by side in the driveway.

Merely pointing out the continued over-promising and under-delivering of EVs and their miracle performance. No, you can't just get a plug in and charge your vehicle. You need special esoteric high level charging gear to be at all practical about charging. Hundreds or more likely thousands of dollars to get a reasonably fast home-charge.

Within a week of taking delivery on my Prius Prime, I figured out that I could feed its EVSE 240/16 instead of 120/12. The actual charging circuitry is in the vehicle. I went from 3 MPH to 12 MPH charging, and it cost me less than $100 in electrical supplies including a new breaker!
You got a new breaker and cords for $100? Around here a simple 4 prong appliance cord is $30.

Anyway, so now it only takes you 20 hours to charge your car to drive the same distance as my car uses in 3 minutes of refueling.

Demonstrates there's no point in trying to charge an EV with a 110-120 Volt outlet.

Using my level 2 system (240 Volts at the car's 32 Amps maximum) I charge my Tesla most days in an hour or so. And I could probably charge it to the usual 80% in 10 minutes or so at a Supercharger.

Demonstrates that there's no point in charging THIS EV with a 120 outlet. The battery size and lack of efficiency of this vehicle makes it basically not make sense. We only charge our Model 3 with 120v and then use Superchargers if we're driving more than can make the round trip home. It may not get to fully charged some nights, but I still get close. The car is plugged in now with 37% battery, we'll wait for off peak to kick in at 8pm when it will automatically start charging and it should be around 75%-80% by morning when the car is driven again. It'll likely see a small amount of local use tomorrow instead of going out of town like it did today and if we feel the need to charge it tomorrow night, then it'll reach 100%.

Really that's just the difference between the ridiculous 9,000lb Hummer with a 200kwh battery and a 3,800lb car with a 77kwh battery.

Merely pointing out the continued over-promising and under-delivering of EVs and their miracle performance. No, you can't just get a plug in and charge your vehicle. You need special esoteric high level charging gear to be at all practical about charging. Hundreds or more likely thousands of dollars to get a reasonably fast home-charge.

You got a new breaker and cords for $100? Around here a simple 4 prong appliance cord is $30.

Anyway, so now it only takes you 20 hours to charge your car to drive the same distance as my car uses in 3 minutes of refueling.
Reading comprehension is your friend the prius prime is a PHEV. charges fully in a few hours and runs on gas.
Also Knowing eljefino is notoriously cheap do it yourselfer I'm guessing that includes the wiring breaker and outlet.
6 gauge isnt cheap.

If you are going to troll electric cars at least put a little effort into it.

Hundreds or more likely thousands of dollars to get a reasonably fast home-charge.
Cost me $500 for parts and labour to install my level 2 system which charges at the maximum rate my Model 3 will allow on a 240 Volt charger. The electrician apologized for using costly wiring - he couldn't get the normal stuff because of supply chain issues. That system charges my Tesla most days in an hour or so.

And yes I could have filled my BMW about 3 times for that $500 instead.

And yes I could have filled my BMW about 3 times for that $500 instead.
That's 7 full tank refuelings for my car, representing minimal inconvenience, and like a year of driving.

20 gallons @ $3.5 per gallon = $70.
7 x 20 = 140 gallons
140 gallons at 35 mpg = 4,900 miles
That's a full year of my driving.
Time, at 5 minutes per refueling, is 35 minutes spread over a year. Gas stations everywhere, not a second extra time planning or going out of my way to find one.

And this is the symbol of electric car problems. We lack the infrastructure. Imagine everyone in town needing to charge one of these tonight.

The Prius Prime has only a 26 mile electric range, which can be filled in ~7 hours at 120/12 or 2:20 at 240/16. Gas is cheaper now so I'm not plugging it in, but when I was, I could do my 600 mile weekly commute on one tank of gas by topping off the electric every night. It took the edge off my gas consumption, so to speak. And what few rare earth minerals were in my small battery pack were fully used daily, saving that resource as well.

I used ~35 feet of 12/2 Romex and my existing Siemens garage subpanel to wire a NEMA 6-20R in my garage, then built a 6-20P to 5-15R adapter pigtail for the EVSE.

I used ~35 feet of 12/2 Romex and my existing Siemens garage subpanel to wire a NEMA 6-20R in my garage, then built a 6-20P to 5-15R adapter pigtail for the EVSE.

I could never install Romex in a garage unless sleeved in conduit. Something about NM-B not permitted where subject to physical damage...

The Prius Prime has only a 26 mile electric range, which can be filled in ~7 hours at 120/12 or 2:20 at 240/16. Gas is cheaper now so I'm not plugging it in, but when I was, I could do my 600 mile weekly commute on one tank of gas by topping off the electric every night. It took the edge off my gas consumption, so to speak. And what few rare earth minerals were in my small battery pack were fully used daily, saving that resource as well.

So, then, basically irrelevant to the Humvee example.

Back