5.9 Dodge Magnum oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Dodge Durango 5.9...94,500 miles. Concerned about oil consumption. 1.5 quarts every 3,000 miles or so. Using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, yearly OCI. Should I try a high mileage 10w-30 or go straight to a 5w-40. No smoke, leaks, etc. Interested in combating oil consumption. Any advice on this motor.

Last edited:
It's a Magnum... they all burn oil. Valve stem seals usually.

A HM 10W-30 might help, but the seals are probably rock hard at this point and no amount of additive will soften them much. However that's a pretty easy engine to work on and valve stem seals can be replaced even with the heads on.

Oh ok. Thanks. Thinking Plenum...but none of the symptoms other than oil consumption. Appreciate the info.

Take the air inlet off the throttle body, open the throttle by hand and shine a flashlight down into the plenum. You may see a puddle of oil in the bottom of the intake. If you do, the paper gasket for the plenum cover on the bottom of the intake has failed and gotten sucked in by engine vacuum. Best solution is to reseal it using oil compatible RTV sealant like Permatex Ultra Gray. Ditch the paper gasket all together. Intake manifold will have to be removed for this repair.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Take the air inlet off the throttle body, open the throttle by hand and shine a flashlight down into the plenum. You may see a puddle of oil in the bottom of the intake. If you do, the paper gasket for the plenum cover on the bottom of the intake has failed and gotten sucked in by engine vacuum. Best solution is to reseal it using oil compatible RTV sealant like Permatex Ultra Gray. Ditch the paper gasket all together. Intake manifold will have to be removed for this repair.

Not bad advice either. Doesn't hurt to check, and it doesn't take long.

If you have maintained it, it is probably the plenum, but the valve cover gaskets can leak.

I run 5w-30 PUP in mine but any synthetic should work well.

Had about70k at the time with mostly Amsoil xw-30 sig series changed yearly. Have some PUP from cheap deals and been running that recently.

5.9 are easy on oil,valve cover was leaking so replaced it, keep an eye on the plenum, have a Hughes kit ready if it needs it but it doesnt use any oil.

Last edited:
Had the 5.9L in my 2001 Ram 2500 which I bought new and had for 14 years. Best truck I every owned. Engine flawless. No leaks, smoke or any other issues ever. Ran M1 10W-30 for fist 75K miles and then M1 HM 10W-30 until I traded it at about 140K miles. Oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles religiously. Used about 1/2 quart between OCIs. I would give M1 HM a try. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back