5.56x45 NATO v 0.223 Remington

Rollout in Vietnam was a mess. Once sorted out the gun was fine. The AK might have an edge on reliability in a sandbox but loses out on the other checkboxes like ergonomics, modularity, mounting optics, etc. The legendary reliability of the AK is also just another myth.

Originally Posted by hatt
Rollout in Vietnam was a mess. Once sorted out the gun was fine. The AK might have an edge on reliability in a sandbox but loses out on the other checkboxes like ergonomics, modularity, mounting optics, etc. The legendary reliability of the AK is also just another myth.

Amusing anecdote:

Myself and a few of the lads from work were at the DFW gun range. Most of these guys are folks with little or zero firearms experience and the place offers "combos" where you can shoot stuff most would be interested in shooting but would likely not have had the chance. One of the guys did the AR15+handgun (9mm) combo (IIRC) and another did the AK-47+handgun (45ACP) combo. I did the Thompson+357mag revolver combo. Since I had the most experience, i was helping the guy with the AR15 while one of the guys from the range was helping my buddy with the AK. Well, the AK wouldn't fire, it just kept jamming. The guy from the range checked it several times, tried a couple of different mags and eventually asked him if he'd be OK with using the AR15 instead
lol.gif

Not really sure what was wrong with it, but I'm guessing they ended up having to strip it. These guns are all exceedingly high use; ridden hard and put away wet so to speak. But we both got a pretty good chuckle that out of the group of us, the only gun that refused to operate was the "legendary" AK, which he chose exactly due to its reputation for being able to be shoved into a pit of sand, tossed in the ocean, and then operate flawlessly
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Its bolt/ejector part in particular....it works without jamming from Vietnam to Afganistan...

The AR15 seems to work fine to me?

@OVERKILL....the problem with your "over the pond" AKs IS that yours Come overseas as a bunch of parts/kits...and are then assembled.....what we have here IS "military surplus" converted to semi auto....

With yours wich are jamming... Its most probablly "head space" problem..

@The_Eric...try to post/watch those videos from ISIS sheenangians...those are the real videos from the (desert) field...and those infidels have constant AR malfunctions...

@OVERKILL....the problem with your "over the pond" AKs IS that yours Come overseas as a bunch of parts/kits...and are then assembled.....what we have here IS "military surplus" converted to semi auto....

I have no idea where the DFW range got their AK's however I expect that the folks running this rather large indoor range are competent enough to assess and deal with a headspace problem. Comically, they also had a Barrett M82A1 there, but it was for sale, not target practice.

I've shot most major semi designs and I can definitely appreciate the appeal of the AR based on ergonomics. I prefer the .308 chambered AR-10 over the AR-15 however. Of course the fact that it is non-restricted certainly helps
grin.gif
Probably the most ubiquitous semi up here is the SKS, with a lot of folks Bubba stocking them (Tapco). Accuracy is what one would expect, but they are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. We had Canadian Tire stop selling them because we had several batches come in where if the cosmoline wasn't properly cleaned out, that they'd go full-auto
lol.gif

Unfortunately you picked a bad time to get into a new caliber. You'll just have to wait a few months and some good 5.56 will pop up, although probably at elevated prices.

Last edited:
Finally got the gun which is essentially a paper weight at this point. The wife says it's too big even though it's technically qualified as a pistol. I need to play with the arm brace and see if she can handle it that way better.

AKs need more care than people think they do.

ARs will run when dirty more than people think they will.

AKs are simpler to care for but harder to build right than an AR.

BSW

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Finally got the gun which is essentially a paper weight at this point. The wife says it's too big even though it's technically qualified as a pistol. I need to play with the arm brace and see if she can handle it that way better.

Is she shooting it as a pistol or rifle? First time shooting an AR pistol? First time shooting period?
First time I shot an AR pistol (which was the first time I shot an AR) I did not like it. Was just awkward. I was just to used to a traditional style rifle. That same day I shot an AR15 rifle and loved it.
After I shot the AR pistol a few more times (and started using the sling in a push/pull to stabilize) I liked it a little more, but still as a range gun at 50 yds, not a whole lot. Not near as accurate as a regular rifle or even pistol.
I think as a home defense tool where I am not trying to hit 50-100 yds, it will work great (am in the process of building an AR pistol now).

As for the caliber, as mentioned, if it is chambered 5.56, it can shoot either 5.56 or .223.
As with any ammo, their will be differences in accuracy, and 5.56 tends to be a "hotter" round vs .223. I use them interchangeable and notice no real difference for the shooting I do.

@blupupher It's an AK-74 pistol chambered 5.56 NATO. It's got a booster muzzle break so I'm hoping the shooting experience is not very bad due to the short 10" barrel.

[Linked Image]

"booster muzzle break"
how is this? does it work?
even on my 16 inch barrel the flash is longer than the rifle sometimes.

Originally Posted by hatt
If you're shooting it like a handgun you're doing it way wrong.

The ATF requirement to shoot it like a handgun was rolled back last year and you can hold it against your shoulder. But cannot have a regular stock without a federal license hence the brace style stock.

Originally Posted by stockrex
"booster muzzle break"

I hope it tames the flash a little. Don't want burnt eyebrows after shooting.

@blupupher It's an AK-74 pistol chambered 5.56 NATO.

.....with a 7.62x39 magazine? Funny!

Originally Posted by stockrex
"booster muzzle break"

The booster is supposed to increase gas pressure since the gas port is so close to the muzzle and dwell time is very short.

Some devices work better than other at that. Either way the muzzle blast is probably going to be impressive.

BSW

@blupupher It's an AK-74 pistol chambered 5.56 NATO.

.....with a 7.62x39 magazine? Funny!

It does look like Russian caliber magazine in the picture. Here is what mine looks like.
[Linked Image]

Back