5.56x45 NATO v 0.223 Remington

I just ordered an AK-74 derivative that's chambered 5.56x45mm NATO. The wife would not have liked the higher recoil of 7.62x39 that was my original plan...

Now it's time to buy some ammunition. I can safely use .223 Remington round as well and these seem to be more widely available than 5.56x45 rounds. The gun will be sitting under the bed in case of emergencies but I envision that the shotgun will retain that duty. It's mainly going to be for fun at the range.

Any potential downside of going with .223?

No real downside.

Maybe slightly lower velocity, maybe not. Depends on the load.

A 5.56 chamber has slightly more leade- allowing for the higher pressure of the 5.56 round by allowing the bullet a hair more travel before it engages the rifling. A .223 chamber has slightly less leade, which is why you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223 gun...

But for your purposes, both will work fine. No downside.

Thanks. What's the best online source? It looks like 1,000 rounds run for $200 plus shipping.

My favorite on line supplier is SG Ammo in Tulsa, OK. great folks. Excellent prices. Great selection.

www.sgammo.com

They usually ship next day, but they have had huge demand lately, and may be a bit behind.

Edit: "Overwhelming demand" and aren't taking new orders right now. Wow.

So, might try TargetportsUSA - https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

Last edited:
only issue i see with a 223 /556 ak is mags for it are harder to find and more expensive. If i may ask, why did you chose an AK over a AR ?

Last edited:
Don't buy ammo now, due to the panic buying most places are out of stock or price gouging!

I bought .223 ammo at Rural King here locally last weekend for $3 per 20 round box of the cheap tuula

Think of the 5.56 as being a +P version of the .223 Higher case pressure, more velocity. .223 would be perfect for the range, and even if an intruder were to run into one, I don't think he/she could tell the difference.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
and even if an intruder were to run into one, I don't think he/she could tell the difference.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Never shot an AK in 5.56mm .

Honestly , I never considered 7.62 x 39mm to have much recoil ?

I was thinking the same thing, it's a pretty mild cartridge
21.gif
I like the AR-10 in .308, and find the recoil on it pretty mild.

My buddy has a Mini-14 in 5.56, and I have a Mini-30 in 7.62x39. There's a difference in recoil with off the shelf ammo that would likely be appreciated by a small statured woman.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by WhyMe
. If i may ask, why did you chose an AK over a AR ?

good question...interested in your answer.

I would say due to Simplicity...look...
smile.gif

I would stick with the 5.56x45 ammunition. There are some .223 cartridges that may have more sensitive primers than the military spec 5.56. This can result in slam fires even with a spring loaded firing pin. If you have a free-float firing pin, certainly stock with the 5.56 ammo to be safe.

I experienced this issue on two of my rifles - Norinco 84S-1 and a Daewoo K1A1. The K1A1 has a free float firing pin like an AR15, the 84S-1 has a spring loaded firing pin to try to prevent such issues but it still would double and slam fire with non-military spec primers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Never shot an AK in 5.56mm .

Honestly , I never considered 7.62 x 39mm to have much recoil ?

AK's in 5.56 and 5.45x39 have a MUCH lower felt recoil than in 7.62x39. The 5.45x39 (AK74, etc.) is my favorite caliber AK. Very pleasant to shoot and easy to keep on target for followup shots. Especially nice in full auto. I have a hard time keeping a full auto 7.62x39 AK on target. Even trying short bursts I have a hard time keeping it on target.

My least favorite AK caliber is .308. I have a Israeli Galil in this caliber and it beats you up a bit and there's enough trigger slap that my finger goes numb after a small number of rounds.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by WhyMe
. If i may ask, why did you chose an AK over a AR ?

good question...interested in your answer.

Some people enjoy inferior products at higher prices.

Back